A Two-Part Conversation About Depression For All People

Podcasts voices Stacey Small, Kaela Tenn, and Pastor Jeff Johnston. (Courtesy of Kaela Tenn)

An in-depth conversation with my best friend and pastor about the similar stigmas and judgements surrounding depression in and outside of the church. Mainly, the mistakes that individuals make when confronted with someone who has found themselves battling depression, anxiety, or trauma.

Guests:

Stacey Small
Pastor Jeffrey Johnston from Calvary Assembly

Part I
Part II

Podcast Produced by Kaela Tenn
Intro/Outro Beat Produced by Benny Teferra

Podcasts Mentioned: 

Checking In with Michelle Williams
In The Light with Dr. Anita Phillips

Bible Scriptures Mentioned (for Encouragement and Comfort):

“I could ask the darkness to hide me and the light around me to become night—but even in darkness I cannot hide from you.” (Psalm 139: 11-12 NLT)

“Why, my soul, are you so downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.” (Psalm 42:5-6 NIV)

“Don’t panic. I’m with you. There’s no need to fear for I’m your God. I’ll give you strength. I’ll help you. I’ll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you.” (Isaiah 41:10 MSG)

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28)

“Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:7)

“The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” (Psalm 34:18)

For Help:

The Canadian Suicide Prevention Service is available 24/7/365 and long distance charges do not apply for those who wish to call at 1-833-456-4566. They are also available via text at 45645 between 4 p.m. to 12 a.m. ET (standard text messaging rates apply).

Crisis Services Canada for suicide prevention and support: call at 1-833-456-4566 

Distress and crisis centres across Ontario: https://www.dcontario.org/ 

Good2Talk Helpline is Ontario’s 24/7 helpline for post-secondary students: call at 1-866-925-5454 or text to 686868

Kids Help Phone: call at 1-800-668-6868

Hope for Wellness offers immediate mental health counselling and crisis intervention to all Indigenous peoples across Canada (available in English, French, Cree, Ojibway and Inuktitut): call at 1-855-242-3310

National Residential School Crisis Line: call at 1-866-925-4419

LGBTQ+ Youthline Ontario: call at 647-694-4275 or chat, text and email

Assaulted Women’s Helpline: call toll-free at 1-866-863-0511

For more information on helplines, visit the Canadian Mental Health Association.

This podcast is in honour of all those we have lost to suicide and mental illness. Kindness, love, and a little bit of patience can all go a long way.

By Kaela Tenn

Adrian

I really enjoyed this podcast. Depression is a hard topic I believe for most. For those of faith and those who aren’t.
I believe it’s simply because it isn’t a simple fix, rather something you often have to endure for a time.

Couple great takeaways,

Your co-host that mentioned it’s not so much that you get stronger, rather you realize how much strength you had already in you (para-phrasing)

And your Pastor’s comments about providing and being a safe space are invaluable.
It’s not always about having all the answers, rather it’s being a safe space that can mean so much to the endurer.

Wonderful job on great subject matter. I feel enlightened.

Kaela Tenn

Thank you, Adrian! I’m so glad you enjoyed it.❤️🙏🏾