Pulling the tube from the stone

Carboard Tube Dueling - Sarah Smith

Cardboard tube dueling taking world by storm

Wayne Hudson
Sports and Health Editor

Optimus Prime - Julian Cash
Knight vs Sushi - Julian Cash
Park Duel - Julian Cash

Attaining the infinite glory of dominating one’s opponents in battle has always been a dream of mankind. Man has always wanted to be the hero, to fight with determination in a clash of grit and scorn against opponents. We may not live in the times of swords, dragons, and damsels in distress, but there is still a way to reach glory: cardboard tube dueling.

The Cardboard Tube Fighting League was founded in 2007, but has grown rapidly since then. Founder of the league, Robert Easley, saw that there were pillow fighting and roller derby leagues, and then the idea hit him.

“I think we all have good memories of wailing each other with Christmas wrappers,” says Easley. “I mean it really started on a whim: I’m gonna throw an event, I’m gonna make some rules, and some kind of tournament with cardboard tubes.”

What is this i dont even - Julian Cash

Easley says that at the first tournament, a few people showed up eager to demo this ambitious new sport. After the first tournament, buzz really picked up after an article ran in a local Seattle newspaper causing television and radio crews to show up at the next tournament, spreading the word of cardboard dueling.

The tournaments follow basic rule guidelines. First, the object is to break your opponents tube without breaking your own. This provides an aim; instead of people trying to physically hurt each other, it keeps the atmosphere competitive and friendly. Don’t stab people is the second rule. The final rule is that all participants must hold the tube at the very end, as you would a real sword.

CTFL tournaments follow a five-round structure, where the fifth round is the final or championship. An interesting rule incorporated is that between the first and second rounds, you have to use the same tube. If it has received damage or frayed from the first round you have to tough it out in the second. All tubes are supplied by the league, maintaining equilibrium all across the field. With the winner of the tournament getting shirts, other memorabilia, and a Legendary Cardboard tube typically named after a mythical or legendary sword.

Although tournaments are a battle, CTFL maintains a friendly atmosphere. With people participating in the tournament from the ages of five to over 70 years old. It’s a competition but this sport wouldn’t be the same without the atmosphere.

Carboard Tube Dueling - Sarah Smith

Cardboard tube dueling has received some skepticism as to whether it is a sport, Easley ensures that it is.

“There is a surprising amount of thought to breaking someone’s cardboard tube without breaking your own,” says Easley. “It’s all about fighting defensively, than aggressively. If you do it enough, there’s something to it,” assures Easley, talking about the strategy involved.

Over the past four years, the CTFL has grown to have five active branches including Seattle, San Francisco, Sydney, Washington, and Bristol in the UK. With more being started in places such as Tokyo.

With cardboard tube dueling growing, Easley cannot help but be happy with his creation.

“It’s very enjoyable to watch people play around and have fun,” he says. “It is a sport, people do come and take [it] somewhat seriously. But it’s cardboard tube dueling—it’s not like if you come and lose, you lose your soul. People come to have fun and it’s amazing to know that they enjoy themselves.”

The glory of being a cardboard tube dueling champion is incontestable. Now that you know, will you able to pull the tube from the stone and be a champion?

Duel - Julian Cash