Schulich School of Business leads NSSE Champion Cup

Caroline Petrucci | Contributor

Featured Image: Schulich has the highest participation rate of student engagement survey in its launch week. | Courtesy of Caroline Petrucci

The Schulich School of Business is leading the first week of the NSSE championship — a competition to encourage students to participate in the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE). 

Since February 10, the NSSE survey has been available to first and fourth-year York students. Over 600 universities across North America participate in the survey annually. Some Canadian universities and all Ontario universities participate every three years with a modified Canadian version. 

To encourage participation across campus, NSSE organizers at York have created a competition between the various faculties, excluding Osgoode Hall Law School and the Faculty of Education. The faculty with the highest response rate will win the NSSE Champion Cup. 

Recent results show that Schulich is currently in first place, followed by the Faculty of Environmental Studies in second. The Schulich School of Business has formerly won the championship cup in 2014 and  in 2017. 

“I think Schulich is leading the NSSE Cup because we frequently receive emails from the faculty reminding us to fill it out. The emails also include the current faculty standings that further entice Schulich students to fill out the survey and maintain our lead,” says fourth-year Schulich student Muhammad Asif.

Each student is sent an email from York’s president, Rhonda Lenton. If they do not complete the survey, which runs until March 31, they will be sent a follow-up email. 

“I think in addition to emails, it would be helpful for the university to leverage popular social media platforms to further promote the survey,” says Asif.

To further entice students to participate, each student will receive a virtual coupon for a grande-sized beverage at Starbucks in the Centre for Film & Theatre on Keele Campus or a large coffee at Glendon Marche. The coupon is also interchangeable for a $5 gift card at York Lanes or The Underground. Each student will also be entered for a chance to win one of two $500 tuition waivers. 

The survey takes 15 minutes to complete and can also be found on students’ Moodle accounts.