Regenesis hosts the YUM! Market

Tyler McKay | Assistant News Editor

Featured Image: The Regenesis booth in Central Square on display every Wednesday during the Yum! Market. | Courtesy of Tyler Mckay

Every Wednesday, the York chapter of Regenesis hosts the YUM! Market in Central Square. The Market is designed to “provide access to fresh and healthy, locally-grown, locally-made or locally-sourced, fairly-traded, natural and organic foods and products.”

The market is put on with the intent of having the least environmental impact while reflecting “the diversity and values of the community.”

Regenesis runs a booth in partnership with Food Services that sells fresh produce.

“A lot of the stuff we sell out before noon. We had blueberries and raspberries for $1.80 which is pretty cheap, so they sold out,” says third-year human resources management student Amanda Kerswell.

“We get all of our produce from FoodShare which is a local non-profit and then we sell it to students at the York community at-cost,” adds Kerswell.

There are many other outside vendors that come in and operate during the week. One such example is a jewelry company; Gentle Force Chainmaille run by Gillian Clarke.

Clarke makes the jewelry herself using pliers to open and close aluminum and stainless-steel jump rings.

“It’s the same basic technique they used to make armour out of,” explains Clarke.

She has been vending for five years and has been at the YUM! Market for two years.

“It’s nice to have a regular, weekly spot because people get to know you and they come back. People come by and they show me the jewelry,” says Clarke.“I get visits from things I’ve sold!”

A few spaces down sat Hilda Crick-McDermott of Spahket Natural Luxury.

“The name means having natural, plant-based botanical products that are good for the entire body and the whole life,” says Crick-McDermott.

“In terms of the skin, mind, and body, we’ve got something for you to use from head to toe,” she continues.

Spahket sells everything from lip balm to deodorant to various bath and body oils. Spahket has been a vendor at the Market for six years after being spotted by someone from York at a Markham farmers’ market.

“We are here to benefit both the community, be it residents, visitors, students, and our vendors, whether farmers, chefs, artisans or activists,” reads the Regenesis website. However, not all students are fans of the Market.

“The market is located at one of the busiest places at the campus and operates at the busiest time, thereby blocking the passage for students as they’re trying to get to class,” says third-year engineering student Joe Xu.

However, he believes that the Market can add to the community of students living in residence as it is a place to buy items that people may not be able to buy elsewhere on campus.

Regenesis, as a “Canadian student-involved and community building environmental organization” also runs other initiatives in addition to this Market. These initiatives include the Free Store, the Borrowing Centre, and the Cycle York Community Bike Centre.

Regenesis also started a Seed Library for “free and easy access to viable seeds to encourage as many people as possible to grow their own organic food.”