Senate in the chambers

Abdeali SaherwalaContributor

Featured Image: Some proposals will be voted upon in the upcoming February 28 meeting. | Courtesy of York

The university senate met for the first time this year to discuss important issues, most notably the changes to tuition and OSAP funding, a lower student application rate, and labour disruptions.

Held January 24, members discussed the changes to tuition, announcing $46.7 million are estimated to be lost during the 2019-2020 year due to the 10 per cent tuition cut introduced by the provincial government. In 2020-2021, an estimate of $60.4 million will be lost.

“From a student perspective, the impact of the provincial government’s recently announced tuition cuts, as well as changes to OSAP and student fees, is likely most important,” Lisa Philipps, provost and vice-president of academic, says.

According to Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC), the number of direct entry

applications to York has decreased by 4.2 per cent with the drop in first choice and second choice applications. Even though the number of applications across OUAC has increased by 4.9 per cent.

The issue of free speech on university campuses was pitched in the 653rd meeting of the senate, where “student guests highlighted to the colleagues that faculty should be prepared to broaden free speech considerations to the classroom, in addition to protests and events, as speech occurs in classrooms daily.

The colleagues also explored the concept of safe spaces in the classroom and suggested an alternative option of accountable, brave, and courageous spaces, where students may express themselves freely and be socially responsible and accountable for engagement with others,” according to the Senate synopsis.

The senate approved recommendations for the establishment of a stream in cognitive neuropsychology within the BA and BSc (Honours) programs in Psychology at Glendon campus. Additionally, the senate approved the establishment of a full-time option for the Master of Public Policy, Administration and Law, and School of Public Policy and Administration.

Furthermore, the senate approved changes to the degree requirements for the Master of Design, AMPD program.

A proposal, which will be voted on during the next senate meeting, introduces a: “Joint working group of Senate and the Board of Governors, to try and find agreement about who would decide during a labour disruption, if it is necessary to suspend all classes,” Philipps says.

Furthermore, this joint working group should provide: “More clarity to students if there is another disruption,” David Mutimer an Interim Vice-Chair of Senate, says.

The senate hearing is a monthly event, where it is open for students to come and watch. The Senate website has a synopsis of past meetings and has archived agenda packages for meetings “going back more than five years” David said. Finally, there is a copy of the President’s PowerPoint “made to the Senate on budget changes” digitally archived as well, Mutimer says.

The senate will meet again on February 28.