Head Start advises students on accomodations

Head Start at York helped new students understand how to communicate their academic needs and accommodations to professors during the annual event hosted by Mental Health Disabi-lity Services.

The summer transition program aimed to help students learn from peers, faculty, and industry experts on how to navigate York’s resources, and how to interact with professors when requesting academic accommodations.

Dr. Jennifer Lund of Trent University spoke at Head Start earlier in the week.

“Accommodation for students with mental health disabilities looks a bit different at each university and college,” says Dr. Lund. “However, there is consistency in that the mandate of our offices is to provide access so students can be successful in their studies.”

Dr. Lund openly talks about living with bipolar disorder and specifies that, most importantly, for those who live with mental health disabilities, is the option, with supporting medical documentation, to be registered as equivalent to full-time when they choose to take a reduced course load to prioritize health and maximize academic strengths.

Students registered with disability services are required to hand in their accommodation forms to professors early in the semester. Although, students may often find the process difficult if professors are not understanding.

This event helped students utilize specific resources related to mental health, and how they can interact with professors to communicate their needs.

“If you are nice to people, you are more likely to get what you want, and this is true to any aspect of life,” says Associate Professor Jennifer Kuk from the School of Kinesiology and Health Science.

Kuk presented students with information on how to become more familiar with the accommodation process and how they can discuss their needs with their future professors.

“Teaching is only one-third of your professor’s responsibility,” she adds.

“Professors do care, but sometimes they may not know how to accommodate or have the time to accommodate in the way you want. Let us know what you need early so we can better accommodate in a fair way to you, the other students, and the professor.”

Kuk’s opening comments at Head Start specified how she was hired for her research background and had not been traditionally trained as a teacher. At this point, she was not familiar with York’s accommodation process.

Like many professors, Dr. Kuk learned about disability services and accommodations for students as she taught. She often required students to explain what their specific needs were.

MHDS offers the three-day program ‘Head Start’ every August to students who identify with having a mental health challenge.

“Accommodation is always confidential – this is also key,” says  Dr. Lund.

“Meeting with a disability/accessibility counsellor is key to feeling heard, understood and validated.”

“I can’t tell you how important my counsellor at MHDS at York was to me during my doctoral degree. I can state unequivocally that her confidence and faith in me was instrumental in my completing my degree.”

“My challenges as a student was feeling confident that I would be seen as competent while registered with a disability,” says Dr. Lund.

“I learned to address the shame that I felt and learned to ask for what would make me successful academically. I learned skills in self advocacy through MHDS which have served me in all areas of my life, particularly in requesting accommodation as a university employee.”

Students often struggle to navigate the accommodation system, including the alternative exam centre, which has specific criteria for registration. The alternative exam centre has allegedly changed their registration requirements since the winter academic season.

“The Head Start program was a good way to get a jump on the upcoming school year and feel better prepared,” says one student who chose to remain anonymous.

“It was really helpful to learn more about all of the services CDS, MHDS and LSS provides and how to easily access them. The guest speakers and peer mentors were very relatable and informative. Also, it was a great opportunity to make connections with other students.”

Ryan Moore, Assistant News Editor
Photo by Ryan Moore.