YFS absent in security debates

Some students aren’t happy with the York Federation of Students’ apparent lack of involvement in the discussion on campus safety in the aftermath of last week’s shooting in the Student Centre.

In a statement released on March 9 on their website, the YFS wrote, “Yesterday a tragic incident occurred at the York University Student Centre. There are two students injured as a result of discharged firearm.”

“Our thoughts are with the two students and their families,” the statement continued, “as we stand united as part of the York community during this difficult time.”
While there are no posts on their Facebook page about the incident, on the night of the shooting, YFS tweeted, “Our thoughts are w/ the two students injured last night and we stand united as part of the York community during this difficult time #yorku.”
Salem Tesfai, third-year professional writing student, says the YFS should be front and centre in supporting any safety cause on campus as they represents students.
[su_pullquote]“Our thoughts are with the two students and their families,” the statement continued, “as we stand united as part of the York community during this difficult time.”[/su_pullquote]
“This is a big deal, and as our official representatives, they should make responding a priority because they speak on our behalf,” says Tesfai.
As of publication, YFS representatives have not responded to multiple requests for comment from Excalibur in regards to the shooting.
Ryan Moore
Staff Writer