York legend Harriet Lewis to retire after 25 years

Lewis is set to retire after 25 years at York.

Harriet Lewis, a dedicated York veteran and mentor to many, will move on to retirement on June 30 of this year.

Lewis first joined York in 1988 as the first university counsel, as part of a group of professionals committed to all university legal matters. In 1998, she also took on the role of university secretary.

Having served the York community for 25 years, Lewis says she has had an interesting and rewarding career, and has seen the university grow and become recognized for its excellence in many areas.

“I like to think I have made a contribution to its evolution over this long period of time, and I have made friends who will certainly remain a part of my life going forward,” says Lewis.

President and Vice-Chancellor of York Mamdouh Shoukri stated in a recent press release that Lewis has “shared her expertise nationally and internationally and her generosity of spirit has made her a mentor to many.”

Lewis has been recognized as one of Canada’s Most Powerful Women in the Top 100 by the Women’s Executive Network, received the John Hackett Memorial Award from the Canadian Association of university Solicitors, as well as the Bryden Alumni “Local Hero” Award in 2010.

Although she is leaving, Lewis says she will always be connected to York.

“[I am] among the most lucky of people to have had the opportunities that York and my position has given me,” she says. “I know that even after I step down from my position, I will remain engaged in some way, if only as an alumnus.”

Devon MacPherson
Staff Writer