Hundreds of students gather for downtown sex party

Condoms - courtesy of hypervocal.com

U of T’s Sexual Education Centre hosts event that draws in students from across the city

Condoms - courtesy of hypervocal.com

On January 22, the downtown sex club Oasis Aqua Lounge was at capacity as they welcomed students to the University of Toronto Sexual Education Centre’s annual sexual awareness week.

Not limited to U of T students, the event allowed anyone between the ages of 19 and 35 into the club with valid student ID and a five-dollar cover.

Although the club was described as a water-themed adult playground, multiple themed rooms could be found inside the club. Above the social area on the first floor was the dungeon room complete with sex swings, while the third floor featured the back of an old Volkswagen, aptly called the “shaggin’ wagon.” The fourth floor consisted of private rooms for couples.

Only two rules were enforced on the attendees: sex was allowed everywhere but the hot tub, and alcohol wasn’t allowed in the dungeon room.

The event wasn’t an open invitation to an orgy, Dylan Tower, external education and outreach coordinator for SEC, told the Toronto Star. He said the event was about giving students the chance to express their sexuality and learn to experiment with new things.

Discussions on safer sex and sex toy demonstrations began earlier on in the day, while the event became “clothing-optional” at 7 p.m., opening the floor to mingling and socializing.

Haran Vijayanathan, coordinator of health education and promotion at York’s Centre for Student Community and Leadership Development, says no one has approached the centre with requests to start a sexual awareness club, but that they would be open to the idea.

“If that happens, we’ll certainly be open to having that conversation, so there’s no closure to it,” says Vijayanathan.

Promoting safe sex in a positive light was SEC’s key concern of the night. They provided a demonstration on sex toys, one-on-one counselling, safe sex information, and a variety of safe sex tools. This also allowed SEC to introduce students to the sex club scene in Toronto.

Vanessa Hunt, president of York Federation of Students, says having a York sex club depends on the presence of significant student interest.

“As long as they follow the university’s policies and our bylaws on how to operate, that’s totally up to the students to decide,” says Hunt. “It’s not our place to tell students what clubs they can and cannot form, as long as they uphold the policies.”

According to Hunt, you need at least 15 members to start an official club at York, in addition to holding elections.

At York, the Undergraduate Sexuality Studies Association is the closest thing the university has to a sexual awareness club.

Vijayanathan stressed general safe sex tips for those interested in participating in a sex club.

“Anyone that’s involved within a private setting or within a club type of situation should use precautions and safer sex techniques,” he says.

By Aileen Ormoc, Sports Editor