2012 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

Excalibur’s Phil Darlington reviews the 2012 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

8/10
Overall Verdict: If you like the GTI but want more functionality and a more day-to-day friendly ride, the GLI offers a more relaxed set of performance credentials.

8/10
Performance: It is exactly the same as the Golf GTI. It has the same 200-horsepower engine and because of this has almost the exact same acceleration. The only difference is the GLI has the body of a Jetta, which weighs a little bit more.

8/10
Comfort: Because the GLI follows in the GTI’s footprint, it has very comfortable seats and overall setup. The difference however lies in the actual feel. The GTI is very crisp and sporty—the GLI is very similar, but it somehow feels a little more forgiving in corners. The GLI does a better job ironing out bumps in day-to-day driving.

9/10
Safety: No need to fret over safety—the GLI has all the latest in side-curtain airbag technology and it feels very solid and safe, even when pushed to the limits.

9/10
Looks: The GLI has got the body of the Jetta, which for some is not as youthful looking as the Golf body. But with more cargo space, it is more practical. The new Jetta looks like an Audi A4 in many respects, so yes it is a looker.

7/10
Cost: Although it is basically a Golf GTI in Jetta clothing, it does cost roughly $3,000 less than the GTI. If you are a family person, the extra cargo space means you can have a practical, sensible car to take the children to school in and drive to work, and a tire-squealing boy racer for less than 30K.