Meet your 2012 election CRO

2012 student union election CRO and York alumna Cecile Des Vignes is looking forward to an interesting election. - Photos by Mark Grant

Cecile Des Vignes aims for fair, unbiased election

Tamara Khandaker

Staff Writer
@anima_tk

The election for next year’s student union members is right around the corner, and there is one person behind the scenes who is set to ensure the show runs smoothly.

As nomination hopefuls gather signatures in advance of the March 9 deadline, Cécile Des Vignes, recently appointed chief returning officer (CRO), is excited for the process to get underway.

“I went to the university so I always felt connected to this campus,” says Des Vignes. “I lived on campus when I was here many years ago.”

Des Vignes, who graduated from York in 2008 with a degree in communications and psychology, is currently working in public relations. Like last year’s CRO, she was appointed to her position through a vote by secret ballot.

Upon seeing the position posted online, Des Vignes thought her educational background and experience in public relations made her a good fit for the role. She believes that being familiar with election procedures is an important requirement, and she has already acquired the experience as a poll clerk for three consecutive years during her time at York.

Unaware of any controversies in past elections, she hopes to move past any issues and do her job.

“All I can do is be the best CRO I can be—oversee, be very fair, and be very unbiased,”she says, adding that she has no personal relationships with anyone on the YFS and has no stake in the election. “To me, it doesn’t matter who wins or loses. I’m just here to make sure that everything is done fairly, and that we are sticking to the bylaws of the elections and the YFS bylaws.”

Des Vignes looks forward to an interesting race—the nomination packages are due March 9 when the candidates will be finalized.

Unlike last year, when the incumbent party ran with no opposition, Des Vignes anticipates seeing some new faces.

“I have a feeling that the ruling YFS are going to be trying to come back, although we do have some new people coming in [to the race],” she says.