Dickson to plead not guilty in Village murder

News Department
The man charged with first-degree murder in the death of York student Qian Liu will plead not guilty.
Twenty-nine-year-old Brian Dickson—who lived in the same Village house as 23-year-old victim Qian ‘Necole’ Liu for a short time—was arrested and charged by Toronto police, and made a brief court appearance April 21.
According to Liu’s overseas boyfriend’s testimony, he was engaged in an online video conversation with Liu when she answered her door around 1 a.m. A physical struggle ensued between Liu and the man at the door—who initially asked to use her cellphone—while her boyfriend looked on, until the unknown man turned off the computer.
Her boyfriend alerted friends in Canada, who contacted Toronto police. By the time her friends and landlord arrived approximately 10 hours later, Liu was already dead.
Police and forensics were seen on site moving in and out of the residence, though they declined comment.
According to Tony Vella, a Toronto police officer working on the case, ensuring student safety is one of the major issues at hand.
“The [roommates] have been spoken to. Obviously it was a very traumatic experience,” he said. “Their safety is our first concern.”
Vella said Toronto police are currently speaking with York security and the public relations department to make sure the school population is safe.
Fourth-year kinesiology student Marco Manca says that for students living in the village, the incident has struck very close to home.
“A lot of us have lived in this Village area for so long,” he said. “[My] friend that lives here has been deeply affected because he’s met the victim.”
Alexandra Shiman, a fourth-year student who lives in the Village, feels unsafe in the wake of the incident.
“I’ve always felt uncomfortable living in this area, but my fears have increased since hearing about the murder,” she said.
Detective Sergeant Frank Skubic, who is part of the homicide squad, says that students should remain vigilant.
“Be aware of [your] surroundings, report anything that makes [you] feel uncomfortable to security or to the police,” said Skubic, adding that pairing up with friends and using a “buddy system” is always helpful.
Some student groups are taking matters into their own hands. The York Federation of Students (YFS) held an open forum and press conference, which saw about 25 students speak to safety issues they felt required action on the university’s part.
YFS president Vanessa Hunt presented a list of recommendations for the administration, including mandatory anti-oppression training and equity courses for all students and staff.
“[Students and staff] will be able to identify privileges on campus […] It’s about people taking responsibility for their actions,” said outgoing YFS executive Darshika Selvasivam, who said the mandatory equity courses for students would demonstrate a “holistic commitment” from the university.
Other students aimed to increase security in the Village by forming a community watch group.
Third-year kinesiology student Alexi Orlovsky, who helped organize the group, said he thinks students need to help monitor the Village.
“It’s a good start,” said Orlovsky, who noted the group is still looking for members. Another meeting is planned for May 26 to discuss safety at York.