Students organize safety watch following York death

Jacqueline Perlin
Assistant News Editor

Students are putting together neighbourhood patrols after the tragic death of a York student, and pressuring the university to better educate students on oppression and equity.
The York Federation of Students (YFS) held an open forum and press conference at York University April 21 regarding the death of York University student Qian Necole Liu.
Liu, a 23-year-old who came to Canada from China in January and was studying at the York University English Language Institute (YUELI) on a student visa, was found dead April 15 at her off-campus Village residence at 27 Aldwinckle Heights.
The open forum saw about 25 students speak to safety issues they felt required action on the university’s part.
Several aimed to increase security in the Village by together forming a community watch group who will walk the neighbourhood streets starting midnight April 21.
Third-year kinesiology student Alexi Orlovsky helped organize the group, and said he thinks students need to help monitor the Village.
“It’s a good start,” said Orlovsky, who noted the group is still looking for members.
The YFS press conference just after the forum similarly dealt with a call for new initiatives, but pressured the university administration to do more.
Vanessa Hunt, incoming president for the YFS, presented a list of recommendations for the administration, including mandatory anti-oppression training and equity courses for all students and staff.
Outgoing YFS executive Darshika Selvasivam explained it’s necessary the university teach community members about privilege and oppression on campus.
“[Students and staff] will be able to identify privileges on campus […] It’s about people taking responsibility for their actions,” said Selvasivam, who said the mandatory equity courses for students would demonstrate a “holistic commitment” from the university.

Orlovsky said information about the community safety watch will be available on Facebook.