YFS director alleges missing funds, misconduct at campus radio station

Gregory Kay, Schulich director of the York Federation of Students (YFS), has leveled several accusations of misconduct against York University’s campus radio station, CHRY.
Kay attempted to fill the position of student at large on the station’s board of directors, and in the process came across minutes from meetings he said point to missing funds.
CHRY station manager Danae Peart said the station is regularly audited, and that their financials are made available at their annual general meeting (AGM). “We post our financials in the Excalibur,” she noted.
Kay also said there was an issue with the composition of their board of directors.
“Basically no students sit on their council – it’s all community members,” noted Kay, who said of two student at large seats, only one has been filled this past year.
Peart explained there are five students currently on their board – three student directors voted in at their volunteer meeting, a YFS representative seat and a graduate student association seat – and that the student at large seat goes unfilled most years.
Additionally, Kay said the minutes showed the treasurer position was filled by the chair of the board and only recently was replaced by a temporary treasurer, which he believed was a conflict of interest.
Peart said the accusation was inaccurate.
News Department