Home is where the library is

Alicia Gutierrez and Shane Hebel pitch a tent for a cause at Scott Library. (Pippin Lee)

Jacqueline Perlin
assistant news editor
Most students spend many hours in the library studying, counting down the hours to when they can shut their books and head home.
Then there are students like Alicia Gutierrez and Shane Hebel – both second year Schulich School of Business students – who have made Scott Library their permanent residence for a week since
Jan. 27.
The reason? To raise money for libraries in India.
The initiative, called ‘The Live-in for Literacy’, runs through an organization called ‘Room to Read’, which was launched at Queen’s University in 2003 and is being held at 10 different campuses this year.
Gutierrez and Hebel are part of a group of about 20 York students who are taking part in the initiative to raise $5,000 to help build libraries in India.
Except for attending class or taking showers, the students have made Scott Library their second home – at least, until Feb. 3.
“We just run home to shower and come straight back,” said Hebel, adding that other students replace them while they are away.

For Gutierrez, the most difficult thing about camping out at the library is the noise that comes from the library custodians during the night.
“The biggest [problem] is that we don’t get to sleep well,” she said, but hopes that the final results will be well worth losing a little sleep.