Making the career ladder accessible

Experts agree ableism does exist in the workplace, but it’s not as rampant as you think

Mike Mannarino

Staff Writer
@sp3ctor20

Entering the career world is difficult for anyone, but the transition from school to work is especially fraught when you have a disability.

Last Thursday, York’s Career Centre hosted a panel on supports in the workplace for students with disabilities. The panel, organized by York career counsellor Susan Pogue, was free-form and interactive. Students asked about what working life is like when they have physical and mental challenges.

After the Q&A, students networked and talked to attending organizations. Canadian Council on Rehabilitation and Work, Thrive Counseling, and Job Start offered job search aid and employment guidance; while TD Canada, Scotiabank, and Government of Ontario representatives were present for possible job opportunities.

Among many topics, the panel focused on disclosure of disabilities, workplace accommodations, discrimination, and human rights.

One student asked whether or not she should disclose her invisible disability to an employer.

“Do it when you feel comfortable to,” says Athena Goodfellow, a PhD candidate at McMaster University and York alum. Her research focuses on university students with disabilities entering the knowledge economy. Applicants, Goodfellow says, can choose how to disclose information about accommodations.

“They aren’t looking for what disability, but a description so they can be compliant,” Terry Robinson adds. A former bronze medal paralympian, he now works as a human resource advisor for the Government of Ontario.

Goodfellow encourages knowing your strengths and weaknesses. “The more you know, the better you can help the employer,” she says, “and the better they can help you.”

Robinson is hopeful about the lack of ableism in the job market. He emphasized that companies are  generally willing to accommodate and promote a fair work environment.

“There are always exceptions,” Robinson adds, “but more often than not people are willing to work with you.”

The panel’s optimism about equal opportunity employment was tapered. The panel agreed that while companies may hire equally, but they don’t necessarily promote equally. This often leaves workers with physical and mental disabilities on the lower rungs of any corporate ladder.

Despite the bleak prospect of promotion, there are some reassurances.

Social worker and counsellor Terri-Lynn Langdon cites the Ontario Human Rights Code. “It says that if a person of disability feels they were wrongfully treated or dismissed, the nature of the disability has less weight than how the person was treated.” Proceedings examine the discrimination, not the disability. The Human Rights Code emphasizes that everyone in the workplace is entitled to equality and opportunity.

Landon says people with disabilities have real experience with oppression in the workforce. “You apply for a job. You know you have the skills and go for the interview. You tell the person how your skills are transferable and the interviewer tells you that you can’t do that,” says Landon.

“I’ve had these experiences where I know what my strengths are, yet I’m told I can’t do those things.”

Landon suggests focusing on self care and keeping good people around that understand your needs.

“An ounce of training in prevention is worth a ton of litigation,” Kaye Leslie adds. She works at Scotiabank as a manager of workplace diversity.

Human rights are important in work and school environments, Leslie says. If accommodations are not being met, the process must begin to correct these issues. Employers are generally apologetic about lack of accommodation—if they are not, necessary litigation can be taken.

Accommodation is not an open-and-shut case, Leslie says. Accommodations change over time and the employer must comply. That said, employees must also be open to explain what is needed.

Leslie says people should never be afraid to request a change in accommodations.

Another student asked about wrongful dismissal based on disability. Most of the panel’s suggestions were applicable to any person or workplace, regardless of ability. “It’s always good to follow up verbal contact with an e-mail,” Robinson says. “So if it ever came down to [a human rights complaint], you have that paper trail.” A paper trail in a workplace can protect an employee from discrimination of any kind.

Students disabled by their environments should remain hopeful. The career world is becoming less ableist as prejudices keep disappearing. In the meantime, new grads—abled or disabled—should  keep empowering themselves and know their rights.