Go Lions Go!

(Courtesy of York U Athletics)

It’s that time of the year again, folks. York’s sports teams are hustling now more than ever for some of the biggest games of the year. Our student athletes are working harder than ever to bring you a season you won’t want to miss.

These students are working full-time, getting their degrees, and staying out late to push themselves to work harder than ever. They are grinding in the snow and rain, getting injured during games, and still making it to their classes on time. Some of them even have jobs surrounded by hustlers looking to compete against their greatest competition — themselves. 

So if you’re wondering why you should come to a YU sports event, look no further than our student athletes. Show them the support they deserve at their games by learning some cheers while munching on your favourite snacks from the concessions. You can also purchase York merchandise and athletic gear here.

There are so many ways you can show YU Pride this year on and off campus. For one, you can cheer on our student athletes and try out for teams that interest you. Check out Excalibur’s sports hotlist where we list the meanest games of the season. To get involved in the York community, you can also join an intramural sports team such as water polo or rage dodge ball.

For upcoming members and new students at York, sports teams are a great way to make a lifelong family and community during your time at university. You will meet people who genuinely want to see you succeed, and believe in the strength of your mind, body, and voice. You need to use all three to play a sport as they involve strategy, mental resilience, endurance, and overall strength. If this challenge intrigues you, then be sure to attend try outs; if it’s not your cup of tea, be there to support these teams. Cheer on your friends and make new ones along the way. 

It doesn’t matter if you have game play experience for intramurals you can observe and learn how to play. From experience, learning the rules takes time but it instils within you a confidence and drive to persevere that is unlike any other.

You heard it here first; for some of the coolest games of the season click here for game schedules, tickets and more. The best part about YU sports events? They’re free for York students! So grab some friends and support your university’s top sports teams this year. We’re counting on you, our Lions, to bring on that YU Pride!

By Olivia Borges

Sports Editor

sports@excal.on.ca