Excalibur’s Sports Hotlist

(Photo by Phillip Goldsberry on Unsplash)

Looking for some live sports events to bet your money on? Excalibur’s Sports Hotlist has got you covered. From university rivalries to students in the spotlight, we’re here to deliver the latest on York Athletics.

There has been a lot of criticism targeted towards York’s sports teams recently from people that sit on the benches. For those who aren’t showing up for practices, it can be easy to judge an athlete for not achieving peak performance levels. Student athletes are working harder than ever to deliver some of the hottest games of the season while being full-time students. So take it easy on them the next time you hear people criticizing the sports teams, and remember that they’re just like you, if not more awesome for playing a varsity or intramural sport. Without further ado, let’s get straight into it.

Number one on our hotlist is York’s first ever women’s flag football game right here on our Alumni Field. These women have been working tirelessly for this game, so be there and show them your support! Women’s teams don’t always get the respect that they deserve, but these athletes are some of the most revered in the province, which is why this game is coming in first on our hotlist. Their first game was on Oct. 22, but show some support and cheer on the Lions at upcoming games.

The men’s soccer team wrapped up their season on Sunday afternoon with a 3:15 p.m. kick-off against Brock’s Badgers. After a tie game against the Badgers last Friday night, the Lions were ready to settle the score. They beat the Badgers 2-1 and have now advanced to the OUA quarter-finals. The game will be on Oct. 28. You can find out the details of the match here.

Our final pick for this week is the women’s volley ball revenge match against Brock University. Our fierce Lions are seeking to claim victory after their 2023 loss to the Badgers at the OUA semi-finals. Cheer them on Nov. 4 at 1:00 p.m. For more details and tickets, click here.

That’s it for us this week. As always, please show your support by attending games and even trying out for teams that interest you! Our athletes compete for you — our Lions. Show some school spirit by visiting the Lions’ website and checking out the games schedule. Tickets are free for York students. We hope to see you at the next game cheering on your favorite teams from the stands. Until then, keep roaring Lions.

By Olivia Borges

Sports Editor

sports@excal.on.ca