2-2 draw for Lions

Emily GoodwinEditor-in-Chief

Featured image courtesy of York Lions

Following a successful weekend against the Laurier Golden Hawks, the Lions found a challenging opponent when they went to take on the Guelph Gryphons Sunday afternoon. Although they were still able to score, they couldn’t shake the Gryphons, and the game ended in a 2-2 tie.

The Lions were the first ones on the scoreboard thanks to a goal from second-year midfielder Vanessa Salvaggio four minutes into the game. Salvaggio was assisted by rookie Marissa Castellano. The Gryphons rallied and came back with a goal of their own two minutes later when Kate Knafelc scored on a pass from teammate Sayan Ladhani.

The Gryphons temporarily took the lead when Ladhani scored with the help of Victoria Hinchliffe. At the 18 minute mark, leading Lions scorer Kiyani Johnson was able to find her way to the Gryphons’ net from a pass from Farkhunda Muhtaj to tie the score 2-2.

Neither side had any luck breaking the tied score in the second half and walked off the pitch at the end of the game with a draw. Despite being unable to defeat the team they lost to in their season opener, the Lions played stronger on Sunday as they outshot the Gryphons 9-4.

The Lions remain tied with McMaster for fourth in the OUA West with a 2-1-4 season record, while the Gryphons are in second with 6-1-2 at the midway point in the regular season.

The Lions will be on the road for two more games. They will be taking on the McMaster Marauders on Wednesday, October 2 and the Brock Badgers on Saturday, October 5. They will return to Alumni Field for their match-up against the Waterloo Warriors on Sunday, October 6 at 6 p.m.