Playoffs possible for York Lions football

Still on the prowl.

Despite posting an ugly 2-6 record, York Lions football fans had something to cheer about in 2012 for the first time in a long time. Although the Lions were only able to register two victories last season, their record does not speak to the progress this once laughable program has made.

The Lions massive turnaround can be attributed to one man with a big dream: head coach Warren Craney. Under Craney’s guidance, the Lions football program is slowly beginning to gain respect around the Ontario University Athletics association.

Prior to Craney’s arrival on campus in May 2010, the Lions had won just three games in the previous five years. Scores of 47-7, or 59-0 had become a staple of the Lions’ Saturday afternoon routine. York’s was by far the worst football program in the nation.

Aware of the challenges that stood in front of him and his team, Craney had a plan. After being appointed head coach, Craney told the Toronto Star, “The only way to win is with GTA players. While it won’t be easy, my job is to build credibility, a successful program, win the battle of recruiting and own the best [graduating high school] players in this area.”

That sounded great on paper, but after the Lions went without a single win in their first season under Craney, it seemed as though it was the same old song and dance for Lions football. However, the lack of early success never deterred Craney from his original statement, and he continued insisting it was not about winning games, but about building a program.

Flash forward three years, and the Lions sit on a solid foundation, posing a serious threat to any squad in Ontario. After a 2012 season that included a big win over the Ottawa Gee Gees, losing three very winnable games by a combined nine points, and most importantly, finally bringing the Argo Cup back to York after taking down U of T 36-24 in the Red and Blue Bowl, the Lions should no longer be taken lightly by their OUA counterparts.

Coming off an impressive 2012 campaign, what does 2013 have in store for York? Are the Lions true contenders for a berth in the Yates Cup next season? This year, it is possible.

The fact that we can even discuss York and the Yates Cup in the same sentence speaks volumes to the growth of this program as a whole.

Admittedly, the Yates Cup is a bit of a stretch, but there is no doubt that the Lions have the talent on both sides of the ball to make a serious push at the playoffs in 2013.

If York wants to make that push, they are going to have to rely heavily on second-year signal caller Myles Gibbon. After putting up a very impressive stat line in 2012, which included 1992 passing yards along with 457 yards rushing, there is no reason to doubt that the dual threat quarterback won’t put up even gaudier numbers in 2013.

Along with the versatile Gibbon, York boasts a plethora of experienced players. The Lions only lost very few players to graduation in the off-season, and most of their impact players are now entering their third, fourth, or final year of OUA competition. I expect continuity in the Lions’ dressing room will go a long way in 2013, as experience and team chemistry have proven time and time again to be major factors in any team’s success.

Although we may not be talking Yates Cup this year, and maybe even the playoffs will escape our grasps, there is no doubt in my mind that the future of York football is a bright one under the watchful eye of Craney.

Ryan McCabe

Sports and Health Editor