The NHL’s long road to recovery

One perspective on what the lockout has damaged and accomplished for fans

Courtesy of midweekmadness.com
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman (centre) leaves the NHLPA offices with Assistant Commissioner Bill Daly (left) and NHL lawyer Bob Betterman following collective bargaining talks in Toronto on Thursday October 18, 2012. Courtesy of midweekmadness.com

After an unnecessary, selfish display from the NHL and its players, hockey is finally back.

It’s pointless placing blame; both sides were at fault, and now, both sides are receiving hefty amounts in compensation. Neither side should have let this happen.

But now, while we have a minimum of eight uninterrupted years of NHL hockey to look forward to, the league and its players continue to face a number of hurdles for the upcoming season.

The NHL was able to recover fairly well after the 2004-2005 lockout, but the the two situations are completely different.

Last time, after a lost season, a new collective bargaining agreement was drawn up, and changes were made to rules, meant to free up skaters and produce a faster-paced league.

This season’s lockout, however, fails to usher in anything productive for the league.

The established markets will continue to thrive: the suits will show up for the Leafs, Madison Square Garden will see a return of loyal Rangers’ fans, and a slew of Bruins fans will be lining up outside the arena.

But the small, emerging markets will be the most interesting to watch.

How will Los Angeles respond to the return of hockey? The Kings are fresh off a Stanley Cup win and received strong support from their fanbase in their playoff push.

In trying to create a fair, revenue-sharing collective bargaining agreement for these small market teams, this delay may have caused more harm than good in the long term. Florida, Phoenix, and Columbus represent struggling markets, facing uphill battles to attract fans where hockey is already an afterthought.

In the short term, NHL players have a tough road ahead, having to get back into game shape in such a short timeframe.

While groin pulls and muscle strains are common with full-length training camps, the expected five to seven-day training camps allotted for the shortened season will probably result in even more rampant injuries.

Even those who have been playing overseas will have to adjust to the unparalleled speed of the NHL.

A new collective bargaining agreement means salary cuts for many talented players like P.K. Suban of the Montreal Canadiens, for example.

There’s less money to go around, and those who locked into contracts before the last CBA expired seem to have come out on top.

But it’s not all downhill for the fans. The on-ice product promises to be fairly entertaining as a shorter season means every game counts.

Also, it is expected that all the games will be played in conference (East/West), resulting in a convenient viewing schedule for fans.

In the long run, the NHL will resume being a cash cow for the majority of its owners.

The NHL has undoubtedly left fans with a sour taste in their mouth, and the players and owners efforts will determine when, and if, it ever leaves.

Only time will tell, and until then, I will prepare myself for the parade down Bay Street.

By Stefano Toniutti, Contributor

Lockouts through history

1992 NHL Strike       
This strike lasted 10 days, postponing a total of 30 games.

1994-1995 NHL Lockout
Because of this lockout, the NHL season was shortened to 48 games. A new collective bargaining agreement put an end to the dispute.

2004-2005 NHL Lockout
One of the most controversial lockouts resulted in the cancellation of an entire season. It lasted a whopping 10 months.

2012-2013 NHL Lockout
Just recently settled, this lockout lasted 113 days, and shortened the NHL season from 82 to 48 games.