Lions triumph over Western Mustangs

Lions forward Adrian Pena takes control of the ball. - Mark Grant

The men’s soccer team continue their winning streak in a close game against the Mustangs

Robert Weese 

Lions forward Adrian Pena takes control of the ball. – Mark Grant

On Saturday, September 29, the Lions earned a 2-0 victory against the Western Mustangs, continuing their undefeated season with the ninth game in their favour.

The Lions have been unstoppable, scoring 24 goals to just 4 goals against, accumulating a dominant 7-0-1 record along the way, good for first place in the Ontario University Athletics West division.

Saturday proved to be no different for the Lions, who took control of the game from start to finish, constantly applying pressure to the Western defenders while maintaining possession of the ball.

In the seventh minute, Lions striker Adrian Pena scored an impressive goal, with the ball roaring past goalkeeper Ivan Skoko of the Mustangs.

Following Pena’s goal, the Lions proceeded to take the heart out of the Mustangs with precise ball control, remaining the aggressor on the field for the remainder of the half, ending with 3 shots to 2 for the away side.

In the second half, the Lions played much of the game in Mustang territory—the dagger in the heart of Western, which seemingly guaranteed the ninth victory of the season for York was a 69th-minute goal by first-year forward Joseph Cicchillo.

This was his fourth goal in only 10 career games, making him an early candidate for rookie performer of the year in the league.

The Lions ended the game with two yellow cards to the Mustangs’ one, and outshot the Mustangs 7-5 overall.

Lions midfielder Carlos Nogueira staves off the Mustangs. – Mark Grant

In the weeks ahead, Coach Carmine Isacco wants his squad to keep up their controlled ball aggression, in order to keep them out of danger and keep the pressure on their opponents.

“One area of improvement that I want to focus on is turnover control and the team’s killer instinct,” says Isacco.

The Lions will return to action Sunday, September 30 against the Windsor Lancers, who sit in fourth place in the Ontario University Athletics West division.

On October 5, they go on the road again to face off against the Guelph Gryphons, trying to solidify their position atop the division.