Sports year in review: 2011 – 2012

Sports year in review 

The highs and lows of the 2011-2012 season

Aileen Ormoc

Staff Writer

@excalweb

With the end of the year fast approaching, it’s time we look back at the incredible season we’ve had this year in sports. With a generally slow start to the season, our teams rose to the occasion in helping the Lions nab a top spot in OUA and CIS championships, while York’s competive clubs have battled hard to bask in the same glory.

Men’s Basketball

The team delivered a lacklustre performance throughout the entire season. Their continual losing streak was unfortunately the common thread for men’s basketball this year. In the season opener, we suffered a 78-60 loss to the Western Mustangs. Things began to pick up in mid-January with the Lions claiming a devastating 107-49 victory over the RMC Paladins and continued to conquer with a 66-62 win over the Queen’s Gaels. But just when things started to look bright for the Lions, their two-game winning streak came to an abrupt halt against arch-enemies, the Ryerson Rams (86-71). The Lions ended the season with yet another disappointing 78-63 loss against the Ottawa Gee-Gees in the OUA East quarter-final game.

Legion Fencing

Although not a varsity-approved sport, the Legion Fencing@York Club has accomplished a lot in the past season. With York granting non-varsity approved teams entrance into OUA championships this year, it allowed for competitive clubs like Legion Fencing to take part. Kayla Lambie, head sabre coach and tournament coordinator, brought home a gold medal in the women’s individual sabre event. Men’s épée also managed to place fourth in OUAs as well.

York Wrestling Club

For some time now, the wrestling club at York has been considered a competitive club and not a varsity-approved sport. As of last June, the club was granted varsity status and is now considered a competitive sport. Their newly-granted varsity status has been due in part to their success as a wrestling club and their range of talent among members.

Women’s Volleyball

The women’s volleyball team delivered a stellar performance this year. Key players like Melissa Humana-Paredes and Brandie Wilkerson helped the team climb to the top in addition to placing first in OUA standings. With a 9-0 winning streak, the team started off strong and continued their reign until they faced Brock University’s Badgers in an upsetting 3-1 loss. Against the Guelph Gryphons, the Lions let another win slip away with a loss of 3-2. Not letting a couple losses determine the rest of the season, the team picked up where they left off and continued to dominate in the next few games against the Ottawa Gee-Gees in a 3-1 victory, Ryerson Rams with another 3-1 win, and McMaster Marauders with 3-0.

Men’s Soccer

The men’s soccer team did not disappoint this year. In the first game of the season, the Lions tied an even 1-1 score against Wilfred Laurier’s Golden Hawks. From that point on, the Lions continued their victory over the McMaster Marauders in a 1-0 win, a 2-0 win against the Brock Badgers, and a 6-0 win against UOIT Ridgebacks. With their first loss in the season against the McMaster Marauders in a 2-0 match, the team didn’t let a minor setback stint their outstanding performance. They continued to forge through the rest of the season dominating the next game against the Brock Badgers in a 5-1 win, a 2-0 victory against Wilfred Laurier’s Golden Hawks, and a 5-2 win over the Windsor Lancers.

Women’s Hockey

The women’s hockey team had a solid season with a few hiccups along the way. They started the year with an impressive 6-3 triumph over the Ryerson Rams and continued their winning streak until they met a 7-4 defeat against the Wildred Laurier Golden Hawks in addition to a 3-2 loss against the Brock Badgers and another 3-2 loss against the Guelph Gryphons. In an unlikely turn of events, the team pulls it together and claims a 2-1 victory against the Windsor Lancers. They end the season with an upsetting 3-0 loss against the Western Mustangs. There were a number of stellar performances by rookie goaltender Megan Lee, stopping 31 out of 32 shots, and Lisa Stathopulos who managed to score three goals for the team in game 1 of the three-part semi-finals.

Track and Field

The track and field team has definitely come out on top this season. At the spring open, several of the track and field athletes grabbed the first place spot like Dontae Richards-Kwok who brought home gold medals, but more importantly, Male Athlete of the Year. The team also joined the CIS top 10 national rankings due in part to their contributions in the Lions Throw Challenge, men’s track and field and women’s track and field. The men’s track and field team finished in fourth place at CIS championships while the women’s track and field team placed eighth.