Fighting hard York gets an almost win

Brittany Szoyckj prepares to pull up.- Jonathan Kim

Lions women’s basketball team loses to Carleton, 62 to 51

Lewis Chaitov
Staff

The Lions women’s basketball team came close to upsetting the number-two-ranked team in a closely fought battle January 6 at Tait McKenzie. By the end of the third quarter, York was only down by four points, but the Carleton Ravens proved too much for York to handle.

Llyandra Kerr showed a strong effort, with 14 rebounds off the back board and 47 minutes of playing time with nine points scored. Kerr was being double-teamed by the Ravens all night, but reminded herself that scoring opportunities are not the only thing that wins games.

“Our defence was really good tonight,” says Kerr. “I just had to play tough throughout the double coverage.”

Brittanyy Szockyj, the captain of the team, scored 12 points in her 47 minutes of playing time. Nadia Qahwash also showed her hustle on the court, scoring 12points.

The game was a very strong showing from rookie Samantha Ernest, who showed why she was a top recruit. Straight from high school, she had a major impact on the team. In 45 strong playing minutes, she scored 15 points.

“The transition is big from high school ball to university ball,” says Ernest. “It’s very different with the practice demands put on you.”

There was lots of hustle from the two point guards Nadia Qahwash and Kayla Pangos, who showed their quality on the court, speedily setting up the plays all night.

The next three games are on the road. The Lions play at home, taking on downtown rivals Ryerson and U of T on Friday, January 20 and 21.