Saravanamuttu set to leave York

Krisna Saravanamuttu criminology graduate and YFS exec since 2007. (Pippin Lee)

Yuni Kim
News Editor
After dedicating much of his time into extracurricular activity and student advocacy, Krisna Saravanamuttu – two-term president of York University’s student union – is set to move forward with his student activism as part of the Canadian Federation of Students of Ontario (CFS-O).
Looking back on his humble beginnings, he accredited his mother for instilling in him the values of post-secondary education.

“I came from a very impoverished background,” said the criminology student. “Nonetheless, my mother always taught me the importance of pursuing a higher education, so I always made it a point that nothing would stop me from getting to university.”
Moving from York’s pre-law society to the York Federation of Students (YFS), Saravanamuttu left behind a trail of impressive accolades.
“By the time I was in grade 11, I knew I wanted to go to law school,” he said. “By the time I got to first year, I knew that if I wanted to be a law school candidate I needed to find a way to distinguish myself.”
Saravanamuttu went on to become the treasurer and president of the pre-law society. In his second year, he became one of the main coordinators for York’s multicultural week – all while maintaining impressive grades.
“Everything was going according to plan,” he said of his accomplishments thus far. “But to be completely honest, I didn’t feel satisfied.”
He recalled reading stories about student activism in the 1960s when students spoke out against the Vietnam War and supported the civil rights movement, mobilizing by the thousands.
“When I heard these kinds of stories, I personally felt a little bit inadequate,” said Saravanamuttu. “I felt like I really wasn’t doing what I really wanted to do, which was to make a difference […] so I called up the student union.”
He would go on to call then-YFS president Hamid Osman for more ways to become involved. It began with handing out snacks to students studying for finals and organizing YFS pub nights to organizing demonstrations against high student tuition fees. Saravanamuttu then ran for an executive position and was elected VP equity for the 2008-2009 year, and went on to run for – and win – the position of YFS president for two terms.
“It’s been an absolutely humbling and honouring experience to represent over 50,000 students at York University through the YFS,” he said. “This is something that has changed my life for the better and I am grateful for all the students who have supported me.”
Saravanamuttu is due to represent over 300,000 students as the national executive representative of CFS-O in the upcoming 2011-2012 year.

With files from Dena Winick

Greg

please you or your actions don’t represent me

Sarah

Its going to be a loss for YorkU. You were an awesome Pres and stuck out for those who were so often marginalized by their own fellow students. Keep making a difference and I’m sure this isn’t the last that we’ll see of you. 🙂

Neil

I love this man. We are all going to miss you but I know this is not the last time we will hear about him. Saravanamuttu will be in the history books.