The most overrated day of the year

Victoria Silman | News Editor

Featured image courtesy of Jasmine WiradharmaComics Editor

It’s freezing in Toronto this time of year, but the heat of both love and disdain fill the air with furiosity—this time of year being Valentine’s Day.

I find myself lucky enough to not fall into the category of single, and bitter towards those couples holding hands and kissing as they enjoy their romantic night out. I do, however, share in the belief that this wretched, so-called “holiday” is the greatest ploy to suck every hard-earned dollar out of your wallet.

New Year’s Eve was a month and a half ago (another consumerist trick to spend everything on a cute dress and hundreds on bottles of champagne at the club), and the next big “holiday”—albeit an excuse to get absolutely totalled at your local pub—isn’t for another month. So what better way for the economy to squeeze a bit more cash into its GDP than to target the singletons and lovebirds?

Hate being single? Buy all the chocolate; eat that entire pint of ice cream; order that Domino’s coupon for a medium three topping pizza and cheesy bread for $12.99. Better treat yourself to a binge fest if you can’t find love on this particular day.

Love being in love? Show it. Buy everything and anything for your partner, because the new gaming console, laptop, jacket, or other expensive gift you purchased for them only two months ago just doesn’t show how much you love them anymore. Also, you better get that $150 bouquet of roses that will die in less than a week—that’s love.

All jokes aside, despite the beautiful history that went into the creation of Valentine’s Day, it’s not necessary to cash in on a holiday to show your loved ones you love them. If you want to surprise them with something extra special, do it some other time—I mean, unless you just happen to be in the mood on February 14 (you animal).

It’s a cliché to say that you should love your partner the way you do on Valentine’s Day every day. It’s not possible. Sometimes they are annoying and anger you, but that’s just fine.

All I suggest is that you remember to show them your love many times during the year—not just in February.

And for all you single folks: treat yourself any day of the year. Domino’s always has coupons available, and chocolate is almost always on sale somewhere.