F****ism isn’t a bad word

[su_heading]All statistics are from a survey conducted online and by hand -in February 2014.[/su_heading]

I see you’ve picked up this year’s Women’s Supplement, and I’m very glad you did. It was my intention to make this year’s issue a warm and welcoming section of the paper while still writing about topics that might rub some people the wrong way.
We’re talking about feminism. [su_pullquote]We’re talking about feminism.[/su_pullquote]
And it is my intention to approach this somewhat tainted topic in a positive, uplifting manner. It’s true there is still a huge wage gap between men and women, there’s still a rise in the number of sexual assaults, and yet there’s still a huge misconception when it comes down to the feminist agenda, and this is not any one gender group’s fault.
The misconception is feminism equals supremacy and not equality, and this misconception hurts everyone. Women who take the feminist movement too far by male-bashing are tainting the movement, and men who retaliate by women-bashing are creating more of a reason for the movement to exist.
It’s a vicious cycle. It’s been slowly snowballing ever since women’s liberation in the 60s, and it could be due to a variety of factors, many of which are explored in the articles in this supplement.
“But surely this doesn’t apply to me,” you say. “I’m an intellectual studying at York University and I have a perfectly healthy outlook on this kind of thing.” Well, you could be right. But I took it upon myself to survey 105 York students, (mostly undergraduates, a couple grads) and the results are really interesting.
For context, I’ll quickly note. 55 per cent of the people surveyed were female, 44 per cent male, five per cent identified as cisgender, one per cent as gender fluid, and one per cent as genderqueer.
[su_pullquote]“55 per cent of the people surveyed were female, 44 per cent male, five per cent identified as cisgender, one per cent as gender fluid, and one per cent as genderqueer.”[/su_pullquote]
When I asked if they considered themselves feminists, only 61 per cent said yes, while 39 per cent said they did not.
The next question was, “Given the definition of feminism as ‘empowering women more and elevating them further in society,’ do you consider yourself a feminist?” and the results changed.
Now, 76 per cent considered themselves feminists, while only 24 per cent still did not. This proves something. When the word “feminist” exists in a vacuum, i.e., without context, only 61 per cent of York students identify with the term. When feminism means giving women more power in society, which is narrowing in a little more on its actual meaning, more people identify with it because the definition gives it a bit more of a positive slant.
Here’s the punchline. Finally, when I asked who identifies as a feminist given the definition of feminism as “gender equality,” 93 per cent said they were feminists while only seven per cent said they were not.
Being a feminist means you’re an advocate for gender equality, plain and simple.
At this point in the game, gender equality means women should be further elevated in society indeed, but it still boils down to striving for equality.
So, this is great news. When there’s no debate as to what feminism does and doesn’t mean — when it’s just about all genders being treated fairly and given the same opportunities without discrimination — only seven per cent of York students surveyed shamelessly admit that they are sexist. (Ah well, the world ain’t a perfect place, and York’s no different.)
The survey demonstrated other results which could be indicative of why there still are people who don’t think gender equality is a priority. For example, 15 per cent think sexism isn’t a serious issue anymore, but that it used to be.
This could be because this small group has been fortunate enough not to encounter sexism in the past, and since 92 per cent say they’ve witnessed an act of sexism, that leaves an eight per cent of students who claim to have never witnessed a sexist act ever.
The thing to note, though, is the vast, sweeping majority of surveyed students are in favour of gender equality and believe that “feminism” itself has become a bad word. People don’t like associating themselves as feminists because of the stigma.
This compilation delicately weaves differing perspectives on gender issues and feminism, which at times may seem contradictory: one piece touches on Muslim women who are empowered by their choosing to cover, another is a personal account of a master’s student, who works as an escort and finds her job gratifying. “If you want degrading work, try [The Gap]”, she writes.
[su_pullquote]Being a feminist means you’re an advocate for gender equality, plain and simple.[/su_pullquote]
Through York’s professors in the gender and sexuality studies department, one article explores the possible causes behind
feminism’s stigma while also illuminating possible solutions.
These professors aim to enlighten students and familiarize them with what it actually means to be a feminist.
Also featured in this supplement, a white man telling other white men to stop complaining, a queer York student telling straight
cis ladies to wear whatever they want, whenever they want, and a list of five women making a difference internationally, some of whom you may not have heard of.
One of our staff writers nabbed an exclusive interview with Paul Grayson, the York professor in the midst of all the religious accommodation versus female rights controversy, and he explains why York shouldn’t be regarded as a sexist school, but one which is hindered by a nationwide problem involving religious rights infringing on other human rights.
The thing that all these articles have in common, despite their sometimes drastically different points of view, is this: everyone is advocating freedom of choice, gender equality, and anti-discrimination.
Consider this year’s women’s supplement a call to action: stop being afraid to call yourself a feminist. So you don’t participate in any rallies or protests? All your bras are still intact? You love men? Great.
You believe that all genders should be treated equally and fairly? Congratulations, you’re a feminist.
If everyone, men and women included, called themselves feminists, the term would eventually be brought back down to reality.
We take a look at how things have gone wrong and how we can fix them, celebrate our school, teachers, and community for being so progressive and supportive and pay homage to the women making a difference in parts of the world where they need it most.
I hope you enjoy the insightful articles beyond.