Are depressed students being ignored?

A study that says 25 percent of male and 26 percent of female university students are feeling signs of depression may be untrue. (sxc.hu)

Kristina Shatokhina
Staff writer
In a recent study led by Dr. Michael Fleming of Northwestern University, 25 percent of male university students, and 26 percent of female students, are suffering signs of depression.
The results came from observing 1600 university students going into medical centres for routine check-ups, having nothing to do with mental health. Fleming concluded that doctors are not catching these students, as there seems to be no way to screen students for depression.

Before we cautiously look around at our peers, however, Dr. Esther Greenglass, a York University psychology professor in the faculty of arts and expert on depression for over 20 years, warns us to consider how these results were determined before accepting such high rates.
She immediately noted that the sample of the study is biased, claiming that it is inevitable that healthy students who are experiencing problems with their health to be worried and sad.
“If I have a physical problem,” she says, “I’m going to be depressed as a result of that physical
problem.”
Dr. Jennine Rawana, a faculty of health psychology professor and expert on depression among youth, agrees that since there is already a reason these students are visiting the health clinic, it’s wrong to conclude these feelings are a sign of depression.
Greenglass explains that there is one common type of depression that a lot of students go through – and that it is actually nothing to fear. Reactive depression, as she explains, consists of depressive symptoms that result from a typical incident (eg. break-ups, bad marks) and is quite normal in life as we go through our ups and downs.
“We all experience symptoms of elation, sadness, ups and downs. This is normal,” states Greenglass.
In fact, it has been confirmed that the lack of these emotional fluctuations is what indicates abnormality, rather than their presence. Furthermore, Greenglass classifies the findings as hints of simple sadness.
Despite the flawed statistics found in the study itself, there are still some students who suffer from severe depression and go by unnoticed.
Fleming proposes a solution to the problem by having each student, upon entering the medical centre, answer seven questions about sleep disturbance, lack of interest, feelings of guilt, loss of concentration, low energy, losing or gaining weight, inability to experience pleasure, low mood and persistent thoughts of suicide.If students experience five of the seven characteristics, they must be referred to a counsellor.
Greenglass and Rawana both find that the best aid comes in the form of friendships. It is a common tendency for individuals who are experiencing stress and depression to distance themselves from the people around them. Both experts strongly make a point to warn against this.
By simply speaking to friends and telling them how you feel, it is just as effective as seeing a therapist, says Greenglass.
“Don’t neglect your friends,” Greenglass warns. “They’re very important to help you stay centered as you go through
university.”
In addition to peers, York has a network of counsellors and clinicians who are only too willing to help, said Greenglass.
“You can make a lot of criticisms about York, but one thing we’re very good at is providing services for students who need help. We have the psychology clinic, we have the counselling centre, there is lots and lots of places to go on campus,” said Greenglass.
There is also another recommended way to make yourself feel better, say the two professors. An easy solution is by doing the things you enjoy in your everyday life.
In the words of Dr. Esther Greenglass, “within each individual there is strength and there is resilience. It’s just a matter of tapping into that reservoir.”