Public action continues for gang rape victim in India

The sexual assault of Jyoti Singh sparks protests in demand of women’s rights

News of the gang rape of a 23-year-old woman, Jyoti Singh, on the streets of Delhi, India’s capital, outraged the world this past December. More importantly, it has caused Indian society to question its treatment of women.

“I feel disgusted calling myself a man and not being able to help that girl who fell prey to those animals,” says Chirag Thakkar, a political science student at Delhi University.

“However, I see immense hope in the protest-scape of India. Twelve thousand charged and angry youngsters outside the president’s house crying for justice is not an ordinary event. It definitely brought the complacent and power-mongering statesmen to come out of their slumber and respond.”

Thakkar is referring to the mass protests that started in New Delhi as news about the rape case reached the public through news and social media. Thousands protested at India Gate and Raisina Hill, the location of both the Parliament of India and Rashtrapati Bhavan, the official residence of the president of India. The protests soon spread to other parts of India as well as abroad.

This massive public outcry led to the creation of a special commission and a fast-track court being commissioned. Currently, five men stand trial for the rape and murder of Singh.

Significant change, however, requires a consideration of India’s history and culture.

In the year 1947, with the end of colonialism and the formation of a nation-state, a new chapter started in the story of an ancient civilization. Today, 65 years after independence, 21st-century India is caught up in the debate between tradition and modernity.

Gender inequality is deeply entrenched in Indian society, but this runs counter to Hindu values. According to Hindu traditions, goddesses are worshipped because they bring wealth, wisdom, and strength.

However, today the very practitioners of Hinduism look down upon girls as financial burdens for families, who must marry off any female children and pay their dowries.

Mitra Joshi, news reporter for CNBC TV-18 in Mumbai, reflects on these contradictions.

“On one hand, we worship Durga [a Hindu goddess] and her numerous forms in the temple, but when it comes to women in the house or the womb, she is treated as an unwanted commodity. All our society needs is a son. Why?” asks Joshi.

“Unless, and until, women themselves stand up against these atrocities, nothing will change,” says Joshi. “But women are told to keep quiet and endure the violence, or else they will be stigmatized by the society.”

Today, the Indian judicial system is adapting to seek justice not only for Singh but also for every Indian woman who has been a victim of gender-based violence. But there are no quick fixes to end the injustice.

“All along, we have been denying the noise this issue deserves. The anger had to pour out on the streets, at protest sites, in cyberspace, and in the media,” says Thakkar.

“I believe that some seeds of change have been sown and that they shall germinate. The tree shall bloom, not by living in denial, but by being constantly at war with patriarchy.”

Chandni Shah, Contributor