Poké-battle arenas

Pikachu and Charmander stare each other down, waiting for the other to make a mistake. This electrifying battle is only starting to heat up. - Illustration by Keith McLean

Wayne Hudson
Senior Staff Writer

Pikachu and Charmander stare each other down, waiting for the other to make a mistake. This electrifying battle is only starting to heat up. – Illustration by Keith McLean

Outside Vari Hall

Normal type Pokémon, like Chansey and Kangaskhan, are comfortable hanging around in this area. It may not look like much, but if you get creative with the space, you can use it to strengthen your attacks and one-up your opponent. If you need to get into Vari Hall, you’ll need the Poké Flute to wake the Snorlax blocking the doors.

Tait McKenzie Pool

When the York water polo team isn’t practicing here, you’ll find water and ice types of Pokémon chilling out in the pool. This terrain is flexible, especially if your Pokémon can freeze over the entire pool using “ice beam.” Be careful in a water battle, as Pokémon attacks can come from anywhere. You don’t want to find yourself all washed up.

Arboretum Parking Garage

Electric and poison types have formed an unusual bond in this parking garage. Both types are attracted to the environment, so you’ll find Pikachu and Magnemite with Zubat and Koffing. The space is pretty tight, so you’ll have to get more creative when you battle here. If you take a hit, it’s more than likely that you’ll need to use an antidote or a paralyz heal.

Subway Construction Zones 

Rubble, dirt, dust, and steel cranes make a perfect battlefield for rock, ground, and steel Pokémon types. Watch your step outside York Lanes because you might trip over a Geodude, and you don’t want to be on the bad side of a Golem. Stay far away if you do run into a battle because the rock and rubble will be flying at you when Dugtrio tears through the ground underneath Sandslash, and you definitely don’t want to be around when Steelix knocks the crane over.

Underground Tunnels 

Why do you think they shut down the underground tunnel system? It was shut down years ago when Ghost and Dragon type Pokémon were found underneath York. If you’re here to catch Pokémon, it will be tough in the dark. But if done properly, you can use it to your advantage in battle. Catching Dratini would be well worth the trouble if you can train it up to be high level. Fair warning: the way down to the venue of darkness is a difficult one. Bring “hyper potions” in case a Gengar or a Dragonite gets in your way.