Top six spring trends

Stephanie Sheppard and Nabeela Khan
Contributors

With the winter months a recent memory and warm weather here at last, there’s no better season to experiment with colours and patterns than spring. Students at York who want to dress playful, stylish, and chic should follow these trends:

Photos by Ana Rancourt and Mark Grant

Bright and bold colours
For spring, bright and bold colours add depth, personality, and flair to your outfit. Three colours that you can never go wrong with are honeysuckle pink, tangerine orange, and yellow. These bright colours have a way of showing off the season and your body in a fun and flirty way. Not only do they bring attention to your outfit, but these colours contrast well with darker colours. A lot of students at York already wear denim, leather, and khakis, so why not pair them up with some bright accents?

High-contrast stripes
Stripes may be your worst enemy or your best friend; it all depends on how you wear them. This trend works well paired up with neutral colours and dark shades that usually don’t bring a lot of attention to themselves on their own. The great thing about stripes is that not only do they add playfulness, but vertical stripes have a way of adding height to your figure. If ever in doubt, go with stripes this spring.

Florals
Spring is filled with blooming daisies and growing tulips, which is why there is no better trend then floral patterns to mimic nature. This season is all about playing up your femininity, so dressing in silhouettes with flower patterns on a skirt or top will really embrace your features. The floral patterns will give your look a very soft effect that seems to be everywhere this season. This trend goes well with light beige jackets and work great as dresses.

Ruffles
Though ruffles get a bad name in movies and magazines, a ruffled skirt or top add a bit of flair to your outfit. Draped ruffles, folds, ruching, and plissés are a great way to add width to your body. Whether you have big shoulders or big hips, ruffles can give your body the width it needs to balance your figure. In addition, ruffles are a way to disguise any areas you want to cover and bring the eye to places that you want. There is a romantic innocence to ruffles and they make a bold statement for spring.

Lace
It’s important to mix up your wardrobe for spring with some sexy lace. Lace has a subtle appeal about it that works to a woman’s advantage. For spring, having white lace on an outfit really helps make the outfit stand out by adding detail. And just like ruffles, lace can avert the eye from unwanted areas and bring a feminine touch. The great thing about lace is that many can wear it as part of a casual look, a glamorous look and even work wear. Lace is a simple way to stand out in spring.

Photos by Ana Rancourt and Mark Grant

Shades
Not only are sunshades perfect for the sharp spring rays to serve protection, but they easily add a cool and interesting addition to your outfit. With the variety of size, colour, and shape, you can find the perfect shades to match what you’re wearing that day.

Bracelets and bangles
Wrist candy is trending this spring, as layered bangles and bracelets can add funk, fun, and colour. Bracelets ultimately add a finishing touch to any outfit and make your look stand out. With shirts and tank tops more popular this season, bracelets and bangles will certainly give your wrist some attention.

Spring is all about embracing the warm weather and having fun with the season’s colours. You don’t have to love spring to dress for it. So break out the feminine florals, high-contrast stripes, and sexy lace, because spring is finally here.

Photos by Ana Rancourt and Mark Grant
Photos by Ana Rancourt and Mark Grant