Looks to look out for

In order to look classy, but also warm, we are going to use the layering technique. Begin with a fitted button-up shirt under a wool cardigan. For extra emphasis, roll the cuffs of the button down the shirt over the sleeves of the cardigan so it peeks out. A great accessory to go with this outfit can be a skinny, bright belt across the midsection for a pop of colour.

After the holidays many people find themselves in a winter wardrobe slump. Following the festive parties and gatherings, here are some looks to get back on track and face the reality of school and work. Fear not fashion lovers; winter fashion is here to make a comeback.

Compiled by Nabeela Khan; photos by Victoria Alarcon

Back-to-class look

Sometimes it is simple to pull on a hoodie, skip the make-up, and run to class. Can we leave this look for exam week when we’re slaving over exceedingly highlighted textbooks and overheated laptops?

It’s -15 outside and you’re debating over hoodies, but how about a better alternative, such as a fitted sweater. Not only are they in this season, but they are warm and comfortable. These kind of sweaters can be worn with jeans or warm tights.
Knit sweaters are a must-have because added layers offer much-needed warmth and appeal. These sweaters are versatile and can be worn with a collared shirt underneath or a basic T-shirt to make it casual. A useful accessory is a wool scarf to seal in warmth and add sophistication.

Work Look

After the holidays, it is easy to put less effort in outfits, especially for work. It is important to keep in mind though, you need to maintain a good impression for your boss and customers, whether it is for work or an internship.

As with the women’s look, the cardigan is a perfect top for men. Begin with a fitted cardigan, in a neutral colour on top of a collared button-down shirt in a brighter colour to add emphasis. The cardigan quickly makes you look refined and clean despite how simple and easy this look is to pull off. Polish this outfit off with a skinny tie or bow tie.

Weekend Look

On the weekend, we want to look laid-back and feel comfortable. However, we can still feel comfortable and look good without putting too much thought into our outfit.

Instead of your everyday pair of jeans, try a pair of khaki pants in beige or olive. This can be paired with a white, basic T-shirt or to dress it up, a silky button-up shirt. The pants keep you feeling relaxed while adding a flair to your outfit. In order to accessorize, long, brown boots and hats add warmth and sophistication.
For guys, skip the sweatpants and reach for a pair of khakis as well. Not only are these super versatile, but they are comfortable and look stylish when accessorized with boat shoes. This can be worn with a simple white T-shirt when accessorized with the boat shoes, which are the perfect shoes for men this winter; they can be paired with many outfits and are still chic.