Fashion with a heart of gold

Schulich Charity Association dazzles guests with annual fashion show. Photos by Jonathan Kim

Kristianne C. Anor

Stepping into the Schulich Charity Association’s (SCA) fashion show was like stepping into another world. The green and purple lights, the techno music, and the number of people gathered in the room gave off a futuristic feel, which fit the forward-thinking purpose behind the show itself.

Hosted by the Schulich Charity Association (SCA), the SCA fashion show at The Underground on January 19 showcased the creative talents of York’s alumni and current students.

Jamal Yehia, the SCA’s director of internal logistics, noted that apart from their goal to ensure that everyone had a good time, the fashion show was there to raise money.

“In terms of raising money, each dollar raised contributes to helping another person’s life,” says Yehia. Every year the SCA, composed primarily of business students, tries to pick one different charity to fund-raise for. This year they picked Ornge, an organization that provides medical transport such as airplanes and helicopters to patients both in the air and on the ground.

Throughout the night, bubbly co-hosts Rob Testa and the current SCA president Lamisse Younis, attempted to entertain the somewhat unresponsive audience, by telling jokes and performing magic tricks. Unfortunately, while the content of their skits was meant to be humorous, the delivery appeared to be highly staged and overly rehearsed. The transparency of Testa’s try-hard quirkiness coupled with the classy sophistication of Younis, however, provided a balance of personalities that made their run-of-the-mill routine satisfactory.

Several local York talents performed during the fashion show: singers Bianca Boldisteanu, Prachi, New Dimesionz Dance Crew, illusionist/magician Rob Testa, Jordan Woods and Sasha Ortega, and the talented and graceful Dia. While most of the acts were forgettable, the only act that really stood out was Dia. Her song and dance routine of “Quando, Quando, Quando” and her rendition of Adele’s “Someone Like You” were absolutely beautiful.

Backstage at the SCA fashion show, things were hectic and busy as half-naked models were running around, trying to race deadline. “It’s crazy back here trying to change,” says one model who was wearing a stunning summer dress designed by the Shweta.

When it came to the fashion designers, the show’s co-directors, James Ious HyunJun Kim and Mariam Siha went for versatile and striking designers.

Upon reviewing the overall show, the performances were unique in their own way. And though there were some awkward moments, the SCA charity fashion show was successful in the sense that it was able to raise money for charity and also in the sense that young local York-bred talents were given the exposure they truly deserved.

Here are the hits and the misses

Mighty Clothing by Richard Park

Richard Park’s collection included a variety of promo unisex T-shirts, which the young designer later admitted that he did not want to originally present at the fashion show. “I gave these shirts to the models, and I’m like ‘Here. Take them. Do whatever you want with them.’”

And his models certainly did whatever they wanted with them. The male and female models came out with different variations of the same T-shirt—ripped, cropped, cut, and tied. Thus, not only was this hot designer’s talent being showcased, but his selected models’ creativity was also under the spotlight. “I just wanted them to have fun with them,” says Park. Park’s line can best be described as comfy, but trendy, with just the right amount of urban flavour, similar to a hipster Drake.

Solace by Shweta Wahi

This adorable and experienced designer wins my award for the most versatile designer of the night. “I’m really stepping out of my comfort zone with these looks! I usually stick to solid colours!” says Wahi. Her work included a vivacious variety of original and colourful designs from cute spring and summer dresses featuring sexy corset backs to more risqué pieces like the leather jumpsuit, also featuring a sexy corset back. This designer managed to capture the perfect Jekyll and Hyde outfits in juxtaposing cute, yet sexy and sophisticated looks. Solace designs could best be described as boho-chic.

Emily Kowalik by Emily Kowalik

The artistic creations of Emily Kowalik were were well-received by several members of the female audience. Her collection included a variety of long and short skirts, as well as blouses with daring and sexy backs. This designer’s strength was certainly her eye for mixing the right fabrics together to create an artsy, yet elegant ensemble. The only weakness is that the designer failed to establish a wide range of colour. Most of her looks were pale shades of pink, brown, and beige.

Sophisticated without being straitlaced, her collection was certainly one of the most original and most classy showcases of the night. Her looks embodied the perfect amount of class and chic. Kowalik’s line can best be described as a feminine/classy American Apparel.

PadinaBondar by Padina Bondar

PadinaBondar’s spectacularly funky, yet classy designs perfectly capture a retro-chic aura. Bondar’s inventive and innovative designs perfectly expresses the term “new age vintage.” Her short and long evening gowns were simultaneously adorable and breathtaking.

The designer demonstrated a wide colour range that very few of the other designers had chosen to pursue. Padina Bondar’s line is part refined, part rave, part flirty, part bold, but a whole lot of fun. Her showcased selection includes highly detailed and embellished embroidery that she masterly tailored into whimsical and feminine evening attire. Padina Bondar’s line can best be described as funky-class.

Fabio Potere by Mohammed Islam

Next down the runway, we were introduced to Mohammed Islam’s collection of men’s sweaters. Apart from his collection of beautiful male models, Fabio Potere left a disappointing impression. Proper, but a bit pretentious, preppy with a twist of hipster, this collection really did not offer much variety in terms of gentleman attire, except for the leather tie. The leather tie, which surprisingly worked very well with the rest of the banal sweaters and cardigans, was the only jaw-dropper. Islam’s line can best be described as metropolitan day-wear or sexy Harry Potter, if you prefer.

Anonymous by Anonymous

Dark, yet alternative; Anonymous’ designs were very original. The designer principally employed monotonous shades of black, white, and grey and constructed some of the most creative, yet simple designs for men and women. Anonymous’ designs gave off a very goth-like, underground look.

Showcasing both men’s and women’s fashion, Anonymous’ designs offered a fair range of grungy, yet chic apparel. The Anonymous line just looked comfortable—a casual comfort that had exuded just enough elegance that the clothing could pass for a night out on the town. Unfortunately, about fifty per cent of Anonymous’ showcase was wearable, whereas the other fifty per cent? Well, let’s just keep that half anonymous. Anonymous designs could best be described as threadbare, but fashion-forward.