We want the funk, gotta have that Turbo Street Funk

Not everyone is cut out for busking, but the jugglers, singers, mimes, chalk artists, and musicians master the art form of entertaining for a buck. Toronto buskers can be seen in a variety of places, most commonly the halls of subway stations, busy street corners, and the infamous Yonge-Dundas Square, home to Toronto’s Batman, the Toronto Maple Leafs cat, and chalk artists, all of whom require permits to be out on the streets.
Returning for its 16th year, the Toronto International BuskerFest for Epilepsy is a busker star-studded affair, with over 170 performers from around the world. The four-day event gathers crowds in the hundreds, closing off Young Street, between College and Queen Street West, to allow for a pedestrian exclusive experience. Entertainment includes magicians, jugglers, clowns, acrobats, puppets, living statues, and musicians.
Walking down Yonge, it’s easy to notice the huge signs and police traffic escorts as the cue to the festival. Volunteers in bright purple shirts clink their jars, with admission to the festival being a self-determined donation to Epilepsy Toronto.
As you enter the festival, you hit a wall of pedestrians and get swept into the crowds admiring the performers. About halfway through the walk, you hear the infectious tunes of an old-timey horn, guitar, and drums covering “What Is Love” by Haddaway, and you realize you’ve stumbled onto Turbo Street Funk.
Formed in 2011, Turbo Street Funk is a self-proclaimed street jazz band rooted in New Orleans’ horn band tradition, with half of its band members recently graduated from York’s music programs.
The band got its start busking on the streets of Toronto, posting a sign on Camilo Gallon’s drum kit, asking for change for their “TUITION FUND.” What started as a joke, and a reason to practice their art, became a huge success.
After covering jazz-fusion bandThe Shuffle Demons’ song “Spadina Bus”, Turbo Street Funk was approached on the street by the band’s saxophonist Richard Underhill. This led to a record deal, an original album, and a chance to open for The Shuffle Demons on tour, a performance which singer and guitarist Casey Van recalls as his favourite performance to date.
After being away from the streets of Toronto for so long, Van says it’s nice to get back to the streets where they all started. Although not as lucrative of a business plan as playing the Mariposa Folk Festival, the band all agreed that it was nice to return to their first venue—the street corners. Eric Szabo, the French horn player of the band says, “it’s nice to see when the audience turns.”
The band clarified they are not referring to the audience turning into zombies and attacking them, but the moment when passersbys turn from strangers to listeners, and from listeners to fans. That is the same moment that while walking down Yonge Street, you recognize the song you hear in the distance and follow it to a small nook to find Turbo.
The moment you start tapping your toes or moving your hips is the moment you turn from a fan, to a family member. The band’s stage presence helps you feel like a longtime member. Their choreographed dance sequences to the sounds of Trix Sharma’s Sousaphone, the collaborative chanting to “Spadina Bus”, and even their interview, are a reflection of how much fun and joy these musicians have playing together. The best part is they invite you along for the ride.
To read more of our interview with Turbo Street Funk, click here. You can check out more of Turbo Street Funk’s tunes on their website, turbostreetfunk.com, or see their music video below:

[su_youtube url=”https://youtu.be/VHx8cyRtRbU” width=”1000″ height=”560″]

[su_slider source=”media: 26314,26311,26313,26312,26310,26309″ width=”1040″ height=”900″ title=”no” autoplay=”5200″ speed=”400″]

Victoria Goldberg, Arts Editor.

Feature image courtesy of Turbo Street Funk, in text images courtesy of Victoria Goldberg.