The spiff on this year's TIFF

As the forthcoming school year looms, Excalibur recommends a break from reality and an escape into the realm of cinematic ingenuity with this year’s Toronto International Film Festival.

Canadian films are better than ever, with Quebec native Xavier Dolan leading the charge at the tender age of 25.

Al Pacino will be featured in a one-on-one conversation at the Festival Kickoff Party. Comedic treasure Bill Murray, in a year being dubbed “the year of Bill Murray” will also be celebrated on September 5’s “Bill Murray Day.”

So ditch the books and take a look at our five pre-TIFF choices, before the late nights and caffeine-induced mania kick in.

Foxcatcher

Directed by: Bennett Miller

Stars: Channing Tatum, Mark Ruffalo, Steve Carell

The film revolves around the true life drama of wrestling champions Mark and Dave Schultz. The brothers find themselves in an unfortunate situation following promises made by millionaire John du Pont (Steve Carell) to bring them fame, wealth, and glory.

Dubbed “Team Foxcatcher,” the brothers get caught up in the dysfunctional lifestyle of rich, gun-crazed, and eccentric du Pont, who suffers from severe paranoia. The three characters end up colliding at the peak of their Olympics venture in Seoul.

Early reviewers are citing great performances by the trio, with Oscar buzz surrounding the film’s acting, directing, and writing.

The Imitation Game 

Directed by: Morten Tyldum

Stars: Benedict Cumberbatch, Keira Knightley

Norwegian director Morten Tyldum makes his English debut with the biopic The Imitation Game.

Critics are raving about Benedict Cumberbatch and his Oscar-worthy performance as the genius mathematician, cryptanalyst, and pioneering computer scientist Alan Turing.

He was the one who spearheaded the technical charge to decode German naval communications during World War II.

Turing’s efforts not only helped shorten the war, but also inspired technological advancement to the point that computers could first

be imagined.

Aside from the war, Turing also faces difficulties with his homo-sexuality, during a time of impossible acceptance by society. He finds support through his colleague and friend Joan Clarke played by

Keira Knightley.

Two Days, One Night 

Directed by: Jean-Pierre Dardenne and Luc Dardenne

Stars: Marion Cotillard

Starring French beauty Marion Cotillard, the French-language Two Days, One Night revolves around the tale of Sandra, a young Belgian mother who finds out her colleagues have opted to receive annual bonuses in exchange for her dismissal.

In trying to institute a vote against the decision, Sandra has only a weekend to convince her co-workers to save her from being dismissed.

This heart-wrenching drama brings out the best and worst in working lives and friendships, with Cotillard leading in what many believe to be her best performance yet.

The Belgian directors have won two Palme d’Ors and a Grand Prix in Cannes.

Winter Sleep

Directed by: Nuri Bilge Ceylan

Turkish director Nuri Bilge Ceylan is famous for his films Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011) and Distant (2002), winning the Grand Prix, Best Director, Grand Jury, and Palm d’Or at Cannes.

Winter Sleep is set in central Anatolia in Turkey, and follows a hotel during its offseason in a half-empty small village, along with the life of its owner and local celebrity actor Aydin.

The director utilizes magnificent cinematography, meticulous dialogue, and striking landscapes.

Winter Sleep has already won the Palme d’Or this year, and been chosen as Turkey’s submission for Best Foreign Film at the Oscars.

The emotional and psychological spectrum of Ceylan’s

films require patience and an active audience.

Mommy

Directed by: Xavier Dolan

At the age of 25, Montreal-based filmmaker Xavier Dolan earned himself the Jury Prize with the

film Mommy in the main competition section at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival.

This kid has every right to be crowned the king of hearts in Canadian filmmaking and this year’s TIFF is sure to hold him in the highest regards.

Mommy encircles the rocky relationship between a single mother and her troubled teenage son.

The emotional drama includes spontaneous sex, intense depth, and some serious Oedipal comedy.

Azad Imanirad, Contributor
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.