Leonard Cohen to shit gold for the rest of life

Leonard Cohen can put out anything and still be awesome—Old Ideas is proof.

Dillon Aubin

staff writer
@excalweb

Canadians have mixed feelings when it comes to our music history. We can brag about Canadian legends like Rush and Neil Young, but we also must take responsibility for embarrassments like Justin Bieber and Nickelback. But the internationally celebrated songwriter Leonard Cohen will always be a centrepiece of Canadian culture and pride, especially in light of his latest album, Old Ideas, released in late January.

Cohen has been active since 1956 and continues to release material, even at the age of 77. 1967 saw his debut album, Songs of Leonard Cohen, a raw and emotional folk masterpiece. Eleven albums later, Cohen’s music has evolved into a cleaner rock-oriented sound while also preserving the intellectual charm of a novelist and poet.

Old Ideas is an appropriate title for the album—the music doesn’t experiment or innovate. It just offers a modest collection of songs meant to relax the listener rather than impress or mystify.

The music itself has a gentle feel. Cohen has his usual ensemble of studio musicians, only this time with a much softer tone. The album consists of mostly acoustic guitars and pianos with the occasional use of strings, backup singers, and other sounds. Hardly any percussion is used on the album, which enhances the calm atmosphere that is constantly present.

It seems like Cohen’s voice gets deeper with every album. His deadpan style of singing allows him to stand out as an artist, but also turns off many listeners. His voice suits his dark and personal lyrical tone which has been present his whole career.

The problem with Leonard Cohen is that some listeners don’t understand him as a musician. And who can blame them? His raspy, atonal voice is fairly unattractive. But his fans understand the personal nature of his music, and realize that the songs he writes can only be heard through his mumbling vocal style.

Ultimately, Old Ideas is a pleasurable listen. It doesn’t bring anything new to folk music, but it is what Leonard Cohen fans want to hear. But if you are not already a fan of the Canadian icon, this album won’t change your opinion.