You’re broke, but the show must go on

Upcoming Toronto shows on a budget for the penniless theatre junkie  Compiled by Ali Hersi

Penny Plain by Ronnie Burkett Theatre of Marionettes
Factory Theater
January 24–February 25
($38-$55)

The acclaimed Ronnie Burkett returns to Toronto along with his family of handcrafted marionettes in the must-see event Penny Plain. Co-commissioned by Citadel Theatre and the National Arts Centre in Ottawa, Burkett’s stunning shows of detailed craftsmanship continue to mystify viewers. Once again, he extends and reshapes the boundaries of puppetry with the surreal and nihilistic backdrop of his latest production. Based in a post-apocalyptic world caused by a global environmental crisis, the story is derived from environmentalist David Suzuki’s idea on what the future of our planet will be in light of the current environmental failure of the human population as a whole.

No Exit by Jean-Paul Sartre, directed by Rosanna Saracino
Theatre Passe Muraille
January 24–February 4
($24.95, $19.95 stu.)

Theatre director and former York faculty member Rosanna Saracino will be putting on a production of Jean-Paul Sartre’s seminal work No Exit beginning January 24. The highly popular work—originally written in 1944—deals with some of Sartre’s most influential and groundbreaking existential philosophies on themes such as death, punishment, friendship, and sin, following the story of four sinners after death trapped in a hotel room with each other for the rest of eternity. It is the origin of Sartre’s most recognizable, gloomy quip, “Hell is other people.” Expect Saracino to pull out all the stops in this mind-bending adventure into the known unknown.

Hippolytos by Euripides adapted by Anne Carson, Directed by Micheline Chevrier, Sandra Faire & Ivan Fecan
Theatre, York University
January 22­–28
(Preview $5, general admission $17, student admission $12)

Anyone Anyone familiar with the history of Greek tragedy understands the level of sexual tension and complex psychological treatment in Euripides’ tragedy Hippolytus. The ancient Greeks had a knack for incorporating frenzied lust and hypersexual emotion into themes tied with theological overtones and myth that served as cultural allegories on what were then current events. Interestingly enough, very little has changed in human interactions and dealings in regards to the male and female relationships, except for the fact that incest has since been officially recognized as taboo, and the gods are not as infallible as they were once thought to have been. This will be Theatre@York’s first production of the year, and should be an interesting and entertaining viewing experience for all.

The Black-Jew Dialogues by Larry Jay Tish & Ron Jones
Hart House
January 25
(Free)

Two ethnic groups that have seen their fair share of social injustice and inequality are the main interest of Larry Jay Tish & Ron Jones’ most recent travelling production entitled The Black-Jew Dialogues. The bi-racial background of the creative partnership of the two takes centre stage as they try to both enlighten us on, and defuse, certain racial stereotypes through the use of fast-paced sketches, improvisations, multi-media, puppets, and game show sets. Chronicling the long-standing history of both peoples as they spend three days together in a roach motel, the two-man production attempts to find humor in the troubling and too common instances of racism frequent in both histories.

The Penelopiad by Margret Atwood
directed by Kelly Thornton
Buddies in Bad Times Theatre
January 29
($22-$46)

Margret Atwood has recently been in the news for her very public ongoing dispute with the city’s executive branch over certain budgetary differences and the rumour of the eventual cuts to city libraries. Unlike mayor Rob Ford, however, Atwood will not be the subject of a full-length theatrical portrayal, but is instead, the producer of the theatrical adaptation of her novel The Penelopiad. Based on Homer’s Odysseus, this modernized interpretation of the popular epic recalls issues familiar with much of Atwood’s work including ideas of feminism, family, and motherhood while exploring the condition of the middle-aged, middle-class female. The production also includes a very sophisticated display of choreographed dance, song, and strong performances by the all-female cast.