Coupland goes for a Highly Innapropriate gross-out

Douglas Coupland’s crude new book is entertaining, but carries no morals. - Random House Canada

Once a master of dry wit and the voice of a generation, Douglas Coupland has turned to vulgar humour with his new book

Taimour Abbasi

As the title suggests, Douglas Coupland and Graham Roumieu’s Highly Inappropriate Tales for Young People is highly inappropriate. These seven tales of ironic incidents and unique characters, based on Coupland’s imaginations, tickle your funny bone, complemented by the hilarious and highly entertaining illustrations by Roumieu, the backbone of the book.

The tales are told in the perspective of various oddball characters. Hans, the weird exchange student, turns out to be Dracula, intent on living green by the end of the tale while charming a cheerleader along the way.

Then there’s Kevin the Hobo Minivan, an immoral, hostile man taught by a zombie teacher fond of cannibalism. Published a day after Halloween, the book has no limits on vulgarity and violence, making you wonder if these kinds of things happen in real life.

Coupland is known for his sharp observations on social conditions of this generation, expressed using wit and deadpan humour. The illustrations suit his style well.

The remarkable thing is that the characters in this world created by Coupland have no sense of guilt or shame. They commit terrible acts with style, like the Barbie doll murdering its owner after having its ponytail chopped off. The tales are filled with violent, psychotic, and neurotic characters that act on whim. But look at it from a different perspective, and you’ll realize that this book is not trying to do anything but twist your mind and make you laugh, or at least smile.

It’s difficult to find meaning in the book. This book is shallow with an inviting title, and even if you are not much of a reader, you will surely enjoy the illustrations. My favourite one depicts Kevin the Hobo Minivan getting fuelled up with vodka in exchange for the electronics stolen from the kids he gave a ride to.

Unlike Coupland’s previous work which was far more substantial and meaningful, these tales lend no morals. It’s a book to be enjoyed, laughed at, disgusted by, and once finished, left to gather dust on a book shelf.

Remember, not all picture books are made for children.