Cinesiege previews the next generation of filmmakers

York University Film Department

York’s film department is summed up in seven student films at the TIFF Bell Light Box

Mike Mannarino
Staff Writer

York University Film Department
York University Film Department

Cinesiege lit up the TIFF Bell Lightbox on a rainy Tuesday evening, showcasing York’s best and brightest film students free of charge.

The preparation begins months before the event, with many hours spent viewing over 130 short films submitted by students in the preceding year. A panel of five judges cuts that list down to 22 finalists and from that point, finds the best seven to screen at the annual event.

The first film shown was titled Eddy, showing the winter years of a man once in the spotlight of fame. The film was made in contrast-heavy black and white to heighten the bodily and facial expressions of the elderly man.

The event featured two alternative style short films. The first was What A Young Girl Should Not Know, and the second, Tell Me If Anything Was Ever Done. Both films were well done, drawing on older filming styles.

What A Young Girl Should Not Know uses a clever combination of two extinct art forms: stop animation and embroidery. The soundtrack did well to complement the film, giving it a great flow.

Catalyst was filmed in black and white, and followed a traditional storyline of the apple not falling to far from the tree. The film calls to mind the youthful emotion tied in with family drama, and the consequences of those emotions coming out at the wrong time.

The next film, Young Love, was very well done—the acting was realistic and the story proved effective for its 11-minute run time. Director Jeff Garneau showed great skill in directing this film in all aspects, from establishing proper story arcs, to cinematography, to final editing.

What Happens Next was the final film. It is the story of a young man’s struggle between the right and wrong paths in life. The film was done in black and white yet again, featuring the largest cast of any film at Cinesiege.

Director Jenna Elzein was able to bring out the emotion of her actors, giving a great deal of back-story in the short 13-minute film. Her eye for detail made this film stand out, from the vibrant city backdrop in the opening scene to the dramatic closing scene.

Keeping In Uniform was the only documentary featured at Cinesiege. The story was centred on two female soldiers from the Israeli army.

The documentary shows that great dialogue can come from real life, as both soldiers bring a unique back-story to this well-executed film. Given the film’s 16-minute runtime, the editing must have been a daunting task. Sharp, clear cuts and no time for filler make it a very well-done submission.

Cinesiege wrapped up with a quick award ceremony, giving these young minds the recognition they deserve.

The screening was a rewarding experience. The films all had their own charm, and all the contributors showed great skill in their future fields.