Nature calls for celebrities, too

SXC.HU

Amelia Ruthven-Nelson
Recruitment Manager

I’m not a big movie buff and celebrity watching isn’t my thing, but as a volunteer at TIFF I did manage to see a few stars. The most memorable and awkward spotting took place in a washroom.

SXC.HU

As a volunteer, my primary job was to stand at different corners smiling and giving directions (although I wasn’t very good at the directions part). On the first day of the festival at Ryerson, I had been standing and smiling for an incredibly long time. Combine the cold weather with the free bottles of water they supplied us with and, big shock, I had to go pee.

Like many of you out there, I generally avoid public washrooms at all costs. I tried to hold it in as long as I could, but eventually I realized that with four more hours on the job, my bladder wouldn’t make it. I scurried off to the tiny washroom by the volunteer room, expecting it to be empty. I charged in, and there was Mia Wasikowska (who was there for the screening of Restless) and someone from her posse!

It was instantly awkward as two of her assistants stopped adjusting Wasikowska’s outfit and stared at me. I guess they were just as surprised to see me charge in as I was to see them standing there, but I didn’t act like a crazed fan and I wasn’t starstruck, either. I just really had to pee.

Of course, they were blocking the only usable stall.

“Excuse me,” I said. They politely smiled, and let me through.

Now ladies, you know the times when you’re peeing in a public washroom, but you feel uncomfortable with people listening to you tinkle? Some of you wait for another person to start, while others are lucky enough to have a friend turn on a tap. I didn’t have either of these luxuries, so I peed in the tiny washroom while the star of Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland, along with her friend, fixed her outfit and heard every drop.

When I finished, I washed my hands and left them in the room to finish whatever conversation they were having before I interrupted. It was pretty much the coolest, yet most awkward pee I have ever taken in my entire life. And for all you star searchers out there, next time you’re spending hours outside looking for a celebrity, take a break and go to the washroom. You never know who you’ll see.