Faculty of Environmental and Urban Change to start Fall 2020

Je-an Cedric Cruz | Staff Writer

Featured Image: These are the three main streams of study in the new faculty. | Courtesy of yorku.ca

This past fall, the Board of Governors and the Senate of York approved a proposal for a new faculty to start on September 21, 2020: the Faculty of Environmental and Urban Change.

The faculty will focus on advancing sustainability, furthering its vision to be an international leader in urban, environmental, and geographical development. Students at York under this faculty will learn from renowned leaders about geography, urbanization, and the environment.

In addition, students will experience on-site opportunities to further their degree with real work experience alongside their studies in global geography, urban studies, environmental science, and more, according to York’s announcement.

“The new faculty will draw together scholars from geography and environmental studies as well as from across York, building on existing synergies and encouraging collaboration in teaching, research and engagement activities,” said inaugural Dean Alice Hovorka.

Some students, like third-year biology student Annothayan Uthayakumar, are looking forward to seeing social issues being intersected within the subject matter to be studied under the new faculty, such as systemic discrimination.

“An issue I would like to see discussed is the immediate action that must be taken on climate change to mitigate the irreversible damage it could do to our planet,” adds Uthayakumar.

Students who graduate from the new faculty can expect to continue their careers in positions such as: advocates and diversity educators, regulators, analysts, energy entrepreneurs, consultants, chief sustainability officers, environmental scientists, geoscientists, urban planners, and infrastructure directors.

“This initiative could broaden the understanding of the York community about environmental and urban change as long as it is properly conveyed to the students in a manner that is accessible to them — such as social media,” notes Uthayakumar.

The Faculty of Environmental and Urban Change is set to introduce new course offerings for students in September 2021.