Annual Volunteer Fair held in Vari Hall

Tyler McKay | Assistant News Editor

Featured Image: Students in Vari Hall engage with organizations at the fair. | Courtesy of Tyler McKay

On Thursday, November 7, the Career Centre hosted its annual Volunteer Fair in Vari Hall. Tables for organizations seeking volunteers lined the perimeter of the rotunda and stretched all the way down into Central Square.

Students had the opportunity to engage in face-to-face interactions with various organizations in the environmental, health care, community engagement industries, as well as different levels of government in the pursuit of acquiring volunteer or work experience.

“Volunteering will make you stand out to employers, you will befriend like-minded people, become part of a new community, and also supplement your in-class learning with real-world experience,” said the Volunteer Fair video from the Career Centre.

Fourth-year environmental studies student, Rishav Panda, has had many positive volunteering experiences in the past and encourages others to consider volunteering as well.

“People should always help others in their time of need. It’s important to give back to your community. Volunteering is also a good way to connect with others and network with people,” says Panda, who has previously volunteered at the YMCA and his local library.

The Career Centre advertises volunteering as a prime opportunity to hone your personal skills.

Students can improve upon “critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, precise communication, empathy when it comes to social responsibility and community engagement, and forming stronger interpersonal connections.”

Volunteering can also “enrich your life and your community and it helps you create meaningful connections and grow self-confidence,” according to the Career Centre.

Volunteers are currently needed at numerous organizations in many different capacities.

For example, the charity Jake’s House is aimed at providing support to families across the country living with autism. Volunteers are needed for art, coding, and multisport workshops as well as to help with holiday parties.

Additionally, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is looking for volunteers.

“Volunteers will complete tax returns for eligible people who have a modest income and a simple tax situation, help direct taxpayers, or assist other volunteers,” said the CRA.

Other organizations present at the fair included: Variety Village, Egale Youth Services, Carefirst Seniors and Community Services Association, and the York Region Food Network. There are over 100 organizations seeking volunteers that are currently listed on the Career Centre website.

The vast number of organizations goes to show the wide range of opportunities available to York students.

For organizations, this fair was an occasion to promote their volunteer opportunities to the large York audience. They could spread awareness about the issues that they aim to address as well as encourage students to help in these particular areas.

Organizations were able to “connect with York students and new grads who are interested in building career-related skills and gaining experience while making a contribution to the work of a non-profit or charitable organization.”

The Career Centre site also provides the relevant contact information for those who are still interested in getting involved even though the Volunteer Fair has passed.