York holds service in honour of Remembrance Day

Shahroze RaufNews Editor

Featured Image: Despite the cold weather, students and faculty members gathered around the wreaths at the foot of the flagpoles in front of Vari Hall. | Courtesy of Tyler McKay

Yesterday, York held a Remembrance Day service and ceremony in honour of Canadian soldiers who served in battle. The ceremony was held at the flagpole at the Harry W. Arthurs Commons amid the snowy weather. 

The ceremony began with the call of the pipes led by Ian Macdonald, the Toronto Police Pipe Band, and members of the TPS. York’s choir also performed the Canadian National Anthem just before Finance & Administration Vice-President at York, Carol McAulay gave a land acknowledgement.

Leading the lighting of the ceremonial fire and remarks was Sundancer, Pipe Carrier and Sweat Ceremony Leader recognized by Elder Vern Harper, Philip Cote. He is from the Moose Deer Point First Nations with First Nations Affiliations of Shawnee, Lakota, Potawatomi and Ojibway. 

“We light this sacred fire to remember the hearts of our men, women, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons, and daughters. And to honour these brave warriors who fell in battle while defending the land for future generations,” said Cote, describing the cultural significance behind the ceremony. 

Cote continued explaining that the sacred fire represents the connection to the sun and the cycles that it goes through to change seasons, much like life. 

“In the east comes the power of life, birthed in the sacred waters. In the south comes the power of wisdom, in the sacred winds. In the west comes the power of the heart, in the sacred fire. In the north comes the power of mother earth, that her children have now returned to her. The setting sun is the symbol of not the end, but the beginning of night: a time to rest and reflect on those we cherish. We see the sun come up every morning, and we remember our place in the cycle of life and death.”

Many students and faculty members attended the ceremony despite the cold flurries. Pieces and remarks were read and given by various members of the York community, as well as a moment of silence. 

Fourth-year political science student, Kurt Rayala says that attending the ceremony was important for him. He wanted to honour soldiers that served in the war.

“Especially with World War I, just remember how these young men served a country, being honourable, only to be dragged into what could be called ‘a needless death,’” Rayala says. 

Wreaths were laid at the foot of the flagpoles on behalf of the following: the Canadian Forces by Richard Silva, the military veterans by James Irwin, the Aboriginal warriors by Philip Cote, York students by Vrati Mehra, York faculty by Ruth Koleszar-Green, York alumni by Julie Lafford, and on behalf of York retirees by Ian Greene.