North York shootings

Mahdis Habibinia | Executive Editor, Online

Featured Image: Toronto Police Services responded to multiple reports of gunshots in North York last Tuesday, Oct 1. | Courtesy of CTV

The Toronto police were called to the area of Jane Street and Finch Avenue West last Tuesday, October 1 after receiving reports of several gunshots. The shootings were three instances that took place within an hour and ten minutes from each other.

Police initially received reports of gunshots at Venetian Crescent around 8:20 p.m., which resulted in a 16-year-old boy sustaining multiple injuries, but he managed to escape and survive.

The second report was received just after 9:00 p.m. at 2010 Sheppard Avenue West where the same suspects fired gunshots at several homes. The police found no victims.

The third report came in around 9:30 p.m. at Grandravine Drive and Driftwood Avenue where the suspects fired shots at Delauntae Bryant, 24, and Eric Rowe, 20. Both victims sustained life-threatening gunshot wounds and were rushed to the hospital where they were pronounced dead.

CTV News Toronto and CP24 both reported that sources close to the investigation claim that Rowe was one of three gunman involved in the shooting, “but his accomplices may have accidentally shot him before fleeing the area.”

There has currently been no suspect descriptions released. Homicide detectives are still investigating.

Police are asking anyone with information on the incident to call investigators at 416-808-7400 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-8477.

By Mahdis Habibinia

Mahdis is a York University graduate with an Honours BA in Professional Writing, a Certificate in Spanish Language Proficiency, and an expected Master of Journalism '23. She is also fluent in Farsi. She began her journey with Excalibur as a contributor in 2017 then worked as executive editor from 2018-2020. For the 2020-2021 year, Mahdis served as editor-in-chief. She is curious about the world, BIPOC stories, and passionate about writing as a platform for advocacy and representation. She hopes to one day add to the diversity of Canadian media both in the content it produces and as a staff member. When Mahdis is not writing or editing or correcting people on the spelling of her name, she is likely marathon-viewing thrillers and crime shows that oddly bear no impact on her sleep.