The YFS nomination period has begun

Shahroze RaufAssistant News Editor

Featured Image: Candidates who wish to run for positions in the YFS are collecting nomination signatures from students until this Friday. | Courtesy of Pexels

With the nomination deadline for the YFS election this Friday, potential candidates are out on campus to collect signatures from students for a chance at campaigning. The Executive Board Elections will be taking place from February 12 to the 15.

According to the nomination package, issued by the Chief Returning Officer of the YFS elections, Sahabthan Jesuthasan, candidates must collect at least 30 to 100 valid student signatures depending on whether they are running for director or executive positions.

Third-year environmental studies student, Abdeali Saherwala, plans on running for the position of Director for the Faculty of Environmental Studies.

“I believe that I can implement change for my faculty and represent my faculty in a greater capacity than before. The Faculty of Environmental Studies is the smallest faculty at York, and due to its size, a lot of people do not know about it. I want to represent my faculty diligently,” Saherwala says.

Students at York also expressed some concerns about the YFS, and mentioned some things they would like to see from upcoming candidates.

Fourth-year psychology student Tharany Puvaneswaran hopes the YFS can communicate better with the students they represent. She saw this was lacking when attempting to opt out of the health and dental program at York in her second year without having to reveal her personal insurance information.

When Puvaneswaran asked why they needed her personal information, the YFS allegedly ignored her question, and simply said they needed her information “no matter what.”

“It upset me because they didn’t answer my question. They don’t communicate well with students,” she claims.

Puvaneswaran also expressed her frustration when learning about the possibility that the TPS may not be allowed on campus in the future.

“Walking at night next to the subway station is unnerving—it’s very inconsiderate of them to ignore student safety. You need to take into account students’ experiences when making changes like this to campus. Already the YRT and TTC have made things harder, I don’t think the YFS should be doing the same thing—especially since they are supposed to help students,” she says.

Amidst the discovery of Ryerson’s Student Union spending $250,000 over the span of eight months, students also believe the YFS must set an example, and strive to be more organized.

“I think they organize the Frosh Week events such as dirty bingo,” says fourth-year social services student Roya Safi. “I know they sell discounted tickets for students, and they represent us within the university, but I have yet to see them do much more than this,” she says.

“There’s room for improvement, especially with strikes and delays in commuting, so they should be doing more to fight for students’ time to be respected,” says fourth-year psychology and French studies student Julia Vit. “Yes, we’re a commuter school but it’s not an excuse.”

Unfortunately, when asked what good things students have seen the YFS do, they were unable to answer.

Candidates currently collecting nominations from students were also told not to discuss their policies and plans before the All Candidates Debate taking place this Friday.