Jewish and Israeli groups strongly oppose Jewish Defence League appearing on campus

Pro-Israel groups’ dialogue with the Jewish Defence League has failed.

The far-right wing group, which has been labelled as a terrorist group by the FBI in the United States, will apparently be coming to campus tomorrow to counter protest the YU Divest protest. 

The YU Divest coalition demands York administration develop policy for the endowment fund to limit the university from investing in weapons manufacturers. 

Meir Weinstein, national director, Jewish Defence League of Canada, issued an open letter to President Mamdouh Shoukri requesting a meeting to discuss the controversial mural in the Student Centre and alleged anti-Semitic activities on campus.

Hillel at York President, Natalie Slavat emphasizes the JDL is not associated with Hillel.

“We are not responsible for their decisions or actions,” says Slavat.

“Our number one priority is the safety of all students at York University.”

Hasbara at York vehemently opposes any presence of the JDL on campus. 

“We strongly agree with Pavel Filatov’s [from Israel Student Association] comments and also identify as Israel advocates who combat hateful movements such as BDS in a peaceful manner,” says Rena Silver, political liaison of Hasbara at York.

“Our ideology and methods are firmly opposed to those of the JDL and we actively discourage any of our associates and membership from attending any of the JDL’s demonstrations as they are only harmful and undermining to Hasbara at York’s goals.”

Members of the ISA took to social media to voice their disapproval for the JDL’s methods and emphasizes to Excalibur they are in no way affiliated or supportive of the JDL.

“As a pro-Israel group on campus, we are committed to achieving a peaceful and safe environment for all students on our campus,” says Eli Razimor, ISA.

“We refuse to remain silent when Jewish and Israeli students are tormented, marginalized, and discriminated against on our campus. No student should have their identity and ethnicity delegitimized and trivialized by extremist groups such as SAIA on campus.”

The ISA is dedicated to fighting the alarming rise of anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism at York, he adds.

“Through cultural expression, education, and dialogue, we aim to promote peace and coexistence on campus among students, but most importantly to create a safe environment for Jewish and Israeli students on campus.”

Independent Jewish Voices issued a press release requesting an investigation into Never Again Canada and members of the JDL who they claim are targeting various human rights groups on campus. 

IJV is not to be confused with pro-Israel groups such as the ISA or Hasbara at York. IJV often works with Students Against Israeli Apartheid. 

“Responding to the mural with defence and calling it anti-Semitic is disregarding the important conversation that Israel has the power to oppress, occupy, and demolish homes by force,” says Ilana Divantman, IJV at York.

“This image speaks to a Palestinian resistance and to perceive it as an image that is instigating violence and anti-Semitism is to confuse and distort the conversation on oppression and persist in systemic racist narratives.”

“Right-wing Jewish organizations and individuals call out anti-Semitism to redirect and deflect critical conversation about Israel’s active role as oppressors and lays blame to unfavourable perspective of Israel to ethnicity and/or race, which further perpetuates hate and violence,” says Divantman. “It is really important as a community to ask ourselves why this narrative replicates in how we participate in the world.”

JDL members were allegedly spotted in the Student Centre yesterday. Excalibur contacted York to see if additional security measures will be taken this week to which York issued the standard response.

“Each event is assessed on its particular circumstances and a plan is developed that reflects that assessment, including the allocation of resources necessary to address any safety concerns,” says Joanne Rider, York media.

“We also continue to communicate and work with event organizers and other groups on campus to try to ensure all policies and procedures are known by all and are followed.”

Ryan Moore, News Editor

Featured image courtesy of Ryan Moore

Arthur Rubinoff

Had the Jews of Germany had a Jewish Defence League . There would have been a lot less Jews Massacred , since the Nazi’s did not allow Jews to leave Germany. The JDL would have setup an underground program to smuggle the Jews out of this prepared massacre .

Michael Devolin

The JDL has NOT been “labelled as a terrorist group by the FBI in the United States.” Do your research. Or perhaps you know this already and choose in spite of this well-known fact to perpetuate this vicious slander. Mendacity is always and essentially propaganda.