York to become a univer-"city"

Construction, the word every student dreads to hear, is hitting York again, as the York University Development Corporation plans the Lands for Learning project.

The project aims to develop the 140 acres of land along the south side of Steeles Avenue, west side of Keele Street and south of The Pond Road, referred to as the Lands for Learning. According to the project website, there is enough space for up to 25,000 new residents and 21,000 jobs in the area.

The project, which has been spurred by the Spadina subway extension, takes into account the changing demographics and needs of the campus once the extension is completed. Christopher Edey, director of commercial land use development for the YUDC, says a project such as Lands for Learning requires a long-term view.

“As the lands are developed, York students will have greater choices in terms of where they live, part-time employment opportunities close to campus, dining, and shopping options,” says Edey. “All in a vibrant university neighbourhood with great transit access to the rest of Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area.”

Although all of the individual parts of the project are not set in stone yet, and the vision for Lands for Learning developments is still being decided, the project is estimated to be four times the size of Yorkdale Shopping Centre, and currently includes: a new building for the Lassonde School of Engineering and the York Athletics Stadium, which will host part of the 2015 Pan Am Games.

Future potential developments include additional student housing and commercial units (such as offices and stores), which will provide new jobs and residences in the vacant lands owned by York.

“As you move around campus, what do you think is missing?” asks Edey. “What changes would make campus a more interesting place? What is important to you when it comes to new development?”

Mila Bordt, a fourth-year theatre major, feels the Lands for Learning project is great as it is trying to incorporate bright and accessible options for students and residents once the subway is completed.

“It’s definitely something we need, being so far away from civilization, it seems like,” says Bordt. “I would, however, prefer to solve the unresolved issues that still stand on our campus and improve the speed at which this is being done.”

The issue of safety is a hot-button topic on campus and when asked about this, Edey says that as Jane Jacobs explained more than 50 years ago, people, and the casual oversight of public spaces they bring will improve safety.

“By adding people and a variety of uses that generate walking traffic throughout the day, safety will be enhanced,” says Edey.

The Lands for Learning studio is currently located in York Lanes in the same office as the subway extension project office.

The studio has also taken the initiative to reach out to various groups, like Access York and York Recruitment to learn about the needs of these groups.

Edey says he is impressed with the variety and quality of ideas coming from York students.“Students are involved not only in visiting the studio, but in running it,” says Edey. “The three student ambassadors that manage the studio have done a great job in canvassing the campus to encourage people to share their thoughts.”

The development team for the project is continuing to ask for suggestions on what the York campus needs. Edey says at the end of the day, what makes cities and neighbourhoods successful is the presence of people in them.

“We will draw people to the campus in the city through gradually adding a mix of urban uses into the edge precincts, and using well-designed public spaces such as pedestrian pathways, bikeways, and roads to link them to the academic core of the Keele Campus,” says Edey.

The website also hosts a comment forum for those that might not be able to visit in person.
Devon Macpherson