Lions stun Lancers in men’s volleyball

Photographer: Iffat Razzaque
Felipe Humana-Paredes keeps the ball out of Lions territory.

Playing their best season yet, the Lions prove to be too much for the Lancers

The Lions continued to revel in their hot streak, showing no signs of mercy against the Windsor Lancers last Friday, January 25, and taking it home with a final score of 3-0.

In the first set, the Lions took a considerable lead, staying aggressive and delivering solid serves. Towards the end of the set, the Lancers began to show some signs of life, making impressive blocks, but it was too late. The Lions took the set with a final score of 25-15.

Photographer: Iffat Razzaque

The fast-paced action of the second set began when the Lions took the lead in points. Furious spikes on both ends began to fire in rapid succession. Lions outside hitter Ray Szeto who stole the show, as the Lions set Szeto up to score with big spikes repeatedly.

As the score crept towards 25, the Lancers began to panic and became downright careless, handing York points with numerous violations. The ref made a questionable call towards the end of the second set. When the score was 23-17, the crowd held their breath as the Lions’ own Felipe Humana-Paredes tapped the ball over the net, securing the set point.

As the third set started, the Lancers began to hustle but were no match for the Lions now working in tandem with the strong support of the fans. Although the set began with each side scoring points, the Lions soon took the lead, and it was York’s outside hitter Timothee Jaumel who secured the match point, ending the set and the game with a score of 25-14.

The Lions are playing their best season in years, and tonight was the best game of the whole year according to Head Coach Wally Dyba.

“We played real smooth tonight,” says Dyba. “This year we have some of the most dynamic players. They are fiercely competitive and have an astounding physical ability.”

Dyba commented further on the impressive efficiency score of  .426 per cent the Lions boast this season.

“To put it in perspective, having a  .426 efficiency score in volleyball is like shooting at 70 per cent in basketball. It’s downright incredible,” says Dyba.

The Lions hit the road again on February 2 to take on the Queen’s Gaels.

Ari Derin, Staff Writer