GO Transit strike may leave students stranded for September

Melissa Sundardas

Going back to school—or rather, commuting—may prove to be more challenging for students who rely on GO Transit this September.

According to a news release issued by the Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) Local 1587, the union representing GO Transit employees, there could be a GO Transit strike beginning September 19 if a negotiated settlement is not reached.

Students relying on GO buses may have to find alternative options. PIPPIN LEE

“The negotiations are not dependent on one condition,” says Metrolinx spokesperson Vanessa Thomas. “Labour negotiations are confidential and GO does not negotiate in public about labour matters or the issues being discussed at the table.”

Thomas says Metrolinx officials are committed to working with the union to reach a negotiated settlement agreement and avoid a strike.

“We understand that a labour disruption would be disruptive to the public,” she says. “We are hopeful that a negotiated settlement can be reached and that a labour disruption can be avoided.”

On a typical weekday, approximately 217,000 passengers take GO Transit; about 180,000 customers take the train and 37,000 take the bus, says Thomas.

Many York students who commute to campus rely on the GO Transit bus system and are worried about missing classes early in the semester if a strike does take place.

“I don’t drive, and from my area, I don’t have other transit options besides GO to get me to school,” says Amrita Singh, a second-year environmental studies student, who usually takes the GO bus from Pickering to York’s Keele campus.

If a strike does occur, Thomas says Metrolinx and GO have a plan to ensure customers are provided with up-to-date information about any impacts to service.

GO Train services would continue to run, but there would be no GO Bus service. Metrolinx will continue to provide some services at its divisions and head office.

“We encourage customers, including students, to sign up for E-News, which is our text message and email alert system that allows you to receive timely and customized news about the service you use,” says Thomas.

E-News recipients will receive email or text message alerts about any major delays such as cancellations, new schedules, service improvements, and construction notices.

Thomas also suggests to make alternative transportation plans, such as taking other local transit or arranging carpools with fellows students in the event of a strike.

Visit www.gotransit.com to sign up for GO Transit’s E-News and stay informed about the potential strike.