Arrest made in daylight sexual assault

Yuni Kim
News Editor
Toronto police have arrested a man in relation to an on-campus sexual assault that occurred in broad daylight.
A 20-year-old female student was walking to the Seneca@York campus building May 5 when she noticed a man following her closely. Police allege the man sexually assaulted her twice at approximately 4 p.m.—once at the main hall, and once again in the hallway while the student tried to avoid him—and only fled the building after the woman ran into an office and closed the door behind her.
That same day, two female students alerted a paid-duty Toronto police officer of a man, 30-year-old Purnell Clark, who was allegedly following them. The officer questioned him and took down his name and address. When the officer returned to his regular duties, he found out that Clark was wanted for another incident, which had taken place that Thursday. Clark is also facing a separate charge of indecent exposure.
“These are ugly, heinous, wrongful acts,” said Wallace Pidgeon of York media relations, referring to the recent ongoing campus assaults. “We are addressing them as fast as possible. I know, to some, it’s not fast enough. People are not only acting, but there has also been action going on for a number of years.”